Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To use Busters terminology, by removing the cat, and adding a de-cat pipe, is going to give you a much better sound, but what about BHP gains ?

I have heard figures between 5-50 BHP gains. Anyone know from experience ?

Obviously if we were talking Nova's it would be a 300 BHP increase !!

Moff

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
Removing the cat allows a more free flowing exhaust system which in turn drives the turbo turbines that little bit faster allowing boost to increase a bit.

Assuming your ECU adjust to compensate for the boost and there's enough fuelling you should get some power increase, but you're unlikely to harness it much if your map isn't adjusted.

I certainly wouldn't expect a 50bhp increase, unless your current Cat is broken and being overly restrictive. I'd guess 10-20bhp max.

Cheers,

Ben

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
I think it should be about 1/2 an inch for maybe a few hours.... oh sorry grin increase that is.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realise I would have to get involved in all that. The car is currently standard apart from an exhaust system cat back, and a panel filter (until I get an induction kit). If I remove my cat and put a de-cat pipe on what will I need to do ?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
undo four bolts, pull out cat, put de-cat in place of old CAT, ( meow )

Beware : cat might not be happy with getting taken out of small snug fit.

Put bolts back in and you have another moggie to set free in the wild.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sarky fcuk. Oh hence the name !!!!!!

Gathered that much, I would have added jack up car aswell !!!

What about compensating for the ECU that mr jaffacake was on about.

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
The ECU mods are not essential, especially on a boinger. You will most likely make your car run a bit leaner though as the boost will increase. This increases the risk of detonation which you really want to avoid.
I'm speaking generally about FI cars here and not specifically about Skylines. Someone else will help with the specifics of your car.

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
And start saving for a new downpipe, cos you know your gonna want one sooner or later, and I found this to be more of an upgrade than removing the cat, well I could feel it more anyway

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
dont think I have heard of a Skyline going pop due to a cat taken out. I think the authorities or manufacturers might have that one on the winds of topic, but it hasnt happened as far as I am aware of.

I didnt think I was being sarky that time or anywhere in this post............................

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
when im sarky no one notices, lol when im normal i get put in the sin bin !

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm learning new lingo today !!!!

boinger = guessing a standard skyline
detonation is that blowing the turbo ?
How do I reset the ECU ? unplug it ?

Defo on the downpipe mr ahapartridge !!! I'm also liking the sound of a screamer pipe. I can scare all the old ladies and kiddies.

Moff

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
detonation is when you get pre-ignition or pinking or after ignition due to accidental explosions in the main chamber of the engine.

This happening at the wrong time = Very bad things when it is all a very tightly driven machine when it comes to timing etc.

Diconnect the battery and turn the lights on , Turn off the lights, and let it sit for a few minutes then re-connect then your ecu will re-learn from factory settings.

Ie take her out and give her a spanking :) to learn how you want her to drive against its own self mapping. It will do so and advance and retard the ignition to make sure it has no detonation.

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
A boinger is a one of those complicated piston engines that turns linear reciprocal motion into rotational motion. The pistons are said to "boing" up and down, unlike the jaffacake on the left

<------

N

·
0 Posts
I dont think thats right either , or worded wrong
best bet get the down pipe first ,about 200 quid max , de cats are wat 80 quid , the word is fast in fast out .
with the least back pressure.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think I'm liking the cheaper de cat option first. Airspeed have scorpion de cat pipe new for £61 !!! I'll be soon to purchase one !!!

Moff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts