Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every year my car kills a batrrey and i have to buy a new one.whats likley to cause this and what can i do to to stop this or should i try and put a bigger battrey in a battrey tray but boot space is quite tight.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
identify the cause first.
is it battery drain/poor charging system or because its left for long periods of time unused.

multimeter at the ready!

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got multimeter but the car does sit around sometime for a week or so without it being turned over

·
i'm the daddy !!
1,198 Posts
i used to have the same problem but I changed my battery for one from a diesel car, a bit bigger but it fits just fine, i had to go to the breakers yard though and get some bigger threaded bars that locate on the battery tray and screw the bracket down onto the battery to stop it moving about.

i can leave my car for 3 or 4 weeks before starting it up and it starts no problem, and thats with the car alarm on.

try a bigger battery, i used one from a 1994 Rover 219 diesel, no problems at all since. if you still have a problem then you may have a short circuit somewhere.

cheers

Andy.

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also its has corroided the battrey to so im not sure if its just i keep putting on **** battreys?

·
i'm the daddy !!
1,198 Posts
did that fit in the battrey tray?

yes it did, i just needed to get some longer threaded bars as i said in previous post.

i just went to breakers yard to get some longer ones.

the battery is a bit taller but there is 5mm clearance between top of battery and the speakers.

Also you will need to open up the clips that screw onto the battery terminals just a little bit as the terminals on the diesel battery are slightly larger in diameter - no big deal, its worth it as the diesel battery has a much stronger starting capacity, plus with the ICE in the car its worth getting a more powerful battery anyway.

Andy.

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ithanks for that mate.i will try that as it looks like i need a new battrey anyway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts