Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI Peeps,

Last night on my way home I put the safc into "Peak" mode, to see what peak valuse where, on the knock i got a reading of 87... now the safc is not tuned yet, (all set @ 0%) I figure tonight i will re "Calibrate" the knock on the safc,

but am i right in thinking that if the knock was really this high the engine check light should flash? (or is this only with a pfc)

car is on stock boost, std everything apart from Apexi induction and HKS exhaust

oh and my A/F gauge in the dash is reading slightly rich on WOT and optimal most of the rest of the time.

Cheers
Dazzler

P.s. Oh and in this recent hot weather it has been reading between 10-25 @ idle after 30+ mins drive and on throttle around 6-10 (0% to 100% TPS), im guessing this is because of the higher inlet temps on the warmer days...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

That reading is a bit high. have you done the Knock calibration? Basically you have to hold the revs at a certain amount and recalibrate the knock.

Its a while since I've done it, but its explained in the manual which you can download from the Apexi web asite.

John

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i did calibrate it when i first put it in, but that was before adding new induction kit, going to calibrate again tonight just to make sure its not that, if nt im a little baffled as to how it would get that high! esp on std boost! going to reset the ecu tonight as well, (not done that in a while)

hopefully will just be the safc reading wrong...

anyone else got any input on this!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
righty, half way home from work (once car all warmed up) i recalibrated the knock sensors and after that gave it a blast, highest reading was 17, (bit more like it) but in the raw data calibration screen it was 90-100, when i calibrated it the first time (cold evening couple months ago) it was 50-60, so when is the best time to calibrate... in hot or cold conditions? or is it all about the knock? which im guessing dosent happen @ idle (on a std good condition skyline n e way!)

any other thaughts on this??

Cheers
Dazzler

p.s. and my boost controller diddent turn up... :( dam parcelforce!

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
If you calibrate your knock sensor in cold conditions (engine cold/winter) you will obviously see relatively high knock levels in warm conditions (warmed up engine/summer). That´s annoying sometimes, but not harmfull. If you calibrate it in warm conditions the monitored knock levels on hot days will be lower, but the disadvantage about it would be that you won´t see knoch on you SAFC when your engine is seriously knocking in cold conditions. So it depends on you which way you wanna go mate...

Oh, and ... knock levels around 20-30 @ idle on a hot summer day are normal! Just because of the high temperatures and your intercooler warming up while not driving and engine not under load.

Hope this helps...:cheers:

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea this is what i was thinking, I can see the calibration being a bit of an issue, maby when it gets colder in october i will re calibrate again! (a once every 6 month thing!)

as for the 20-30 in the heat i can appreciate that, it is dam hot down here in cornwall at the mo! Im sat in the office with the aircon on full!

maby my mod idea on the SMIC is the next thing to test....

Thanks for the responce!

Cheers
Dazzler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts