Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lick me - i'm chocolate!!
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a thread going a while back about det after getting my car mapped, but the thread kind of strayed away from my initial question, so as i have still got the same problem! which is, on a spirited drive (on private roads of course) im still seeing knock levels of 80 and above on occasion when im hitting 6000ish revs in 4th and mostly 5th gear. anyone any idea of what could be causing this? also i have just fitted Nismo 250lph pump and still does it.

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
I thought 60 knocks + should bring on the engine management light ? You will be doing your engine serious harm if you keep running it like that.Had mine tuned the other week and when i give it some i only get about 25 knocks or 8-11 on a stroll.Was told by Garth at Mgt that he sets it up to do no more than 30.Maybe worth getting it tuned before it explodes.

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
Thanks Keith

is this something i can do myself or does it need an expert?
no mate its for a tuner to do, as dazman said if yr not careful it could damage yr engine, although bruce-m had high levels for some time and then got it re-mapped and its fine, the reason its detting is in 4th or 5th is when the engine is under the most load, some say no more tham 50 det readings is ok, but really 30 would be my limit, :D

·
Lick me - i'm chocolate!!
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no mate its for a tuner to do, as dazman said if yr not careful it could damage yr engine, although bruce-m had high levels for some time and then got it re-mapped and its fine, the reason its detting is in 4th or 5th is when the engine is under the most load, some say no more tham 50 det readings is ok, but really 30 would be my limit, :D

So a re-map is needed?

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
yes mate as soon as, its only a case of pulling out a bit of ignition so it shouldnt be to expensive. and really a 20 minute job.
it shouldnt need a complete re-map, im guessing yr fuelling etc is ok though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The forms aren't working out so well, apparently "because it's the best name in the world" isn't a good enough reason to grant my name change. I'll just have to resort to calling my first-born "Keith". Fingers crossed it's a boy!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts