Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If like me you have far too much free time to ponder what the nasty tin worm is doing to your pride and joy, or you're just a saddo who wants to know how rust works :D then this page gives you an idea. Interesting to see why zinc is used to treat metal (well was for me anyway).

Anyway, to the point. My car has taken a bit of a hammering from stone chips over the last year and is now showing it. Rust is now under the rear arches and on the inner edges of the arches themselves. I know, I should have got it undersealed when I bought it but it just never happened :rolleyes:

I'm going to get it in the barn and set about it so i'd like some advice on what to treat it with.

I intend to
1) strip all the affected areas back to clean shiny metal
2) treat these areas with something that will kill the rust in the fine pits I will have missed
3) apply plenty of zinc primer
4) top coat it
and for the under body areas add:
5) some sort of 'stone chip' coating to protect it
6) get it allWaxoyl'd asap

So please can any of you bodyshop experts advise me on what to treat the bare metal with and also comment on my plan? A guy at a shop recommended Jenolite but i've always been sceptical of these sorts of things. The author of the link above seems to be too.

James.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Speaking of zinc - apparently there's some truth in 'stop it - you'll go blind'. Zinc deficiency can lead to poor eyesight and guess what has a high concentration of zinc?

A mate told me that years ago. And he wore glasses so I had to believe him. :)

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Pretty much all propriertry rust killers use Phosphoric acid as the active ingredient-Jenolite etc is a weak version of this to stop Joe Public burning his fingers off.So sand or bead-blast all the surface corrosion away,apply neat Phosphoric acid to the bear metal,any residual oxidation will turn black.Apply on tissue sheets on vertical surfaces,to prevent runs.Nuetralise with water,dry thoroughly-now DONT sand the treated area!!!Use a good primer(zinc chromate or etch is best,ask someone who works on aircraft-beware,very caciogenic)then topcoat.Waxoyle or LPS-3 all underbody,especially in box sections.
Phosphoric acid available from industry,in small ammounts.
That should cure it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts