Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
on road im not sure i tend not to do huge starts, on drag i found anything about 2.5k and youll slip/ bog down and do a nice , nothing.

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
Jaffa, the Isaac Will return. Being 4wd I tend not to do massive launches, as i like my diffs and clutch. However the sweet spot on the GT4 is about 3500rpm. Suppose you have gotta keep trying till you find whats best for your car...

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
think when your turbo comes in and your going to loose 1k when you grip up and take off, so 1k ideally around your sweet spot of your turbo on song would be ideal. Loss of grip or tempering your clutch could be the answer but not idea on wear, if your interested in that.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
about 3k with tempering your clutch then. have to try it mate :)

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
feel it, instead of letting off and gripping, lets say your blower spools up at 2k. Rev yours to 3-3.5K and thats all you need to get a good launch.

Tempering only really needs to happen if you can not get the grip or want to keep the revs high.

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
ah gotcha, thanks mark. As the car is 4wd and not massivly powerful traction on a fast launch is only generally a problem in the wet.

Suppose this is best suited to RWD skylines then innit.

·
Bullet Tooth Tony
3,068 Posts
used to launch my GTi-R from around 4g with good effect:):)
havnt and dont intend on finding out how to launch the GTR yet:)
much perfer to get the thing rolling then gun it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Peak Torque for me is at 6850rpm so thats where I launch,
but everybody is different.
I have the HKS Torque splitter which allows you to pre-set the amount of torque that goes to the front wheels, before the back gets a grip. Once it does, the splitter shoves all the power to the rear end as usual.

However, every car is different and you need to know if its gonna spin its wheels. Wheelspin is not a good idea, because you are basically going nowhere until they get a grip.
I have seen cars set off from almost zero revs when the lights change, and others with 6/7000 on the clock.

I find it very difficult to spin my wheels, I sometimes wish I could but the bloody thing just sets off with a tiny little piggy squeal and its time to change gear.

Getting the clutch up is another matter. Some say just sidestep the clutch at 7000 rpm, but I prefer the "feed-in" over the first 4 or 5 metres. Less harmfull to the clutch and still gives a reasonable launch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
7000rpm then side step clutch then..

after 3 months of gtr ownership buy new clutch, was my method.

The GT4 I had before was easier - switch on NOS, rev to 99% of WOT, foot to floor to trigger NOS, sidestep clutch, giggle a bit.

Although the giggling was optional.

cheers

Iain

·
Registered
85 Posts
8000 RPM at Elevington,

6500-7500 On Tarmac,
Just Side step the Cluch

This seems to work well

Nigel

·
Registered
193 Posts
4/5.5K in me GTiR (at the pod) - but it's ok the clutch is a good'n so im told !!! - but i still bogged a little, need more pratice, i used to launch me micra better and quicker than me GTiR, but then in me Sunny VAN (the petrol 1 actually and the Weisel one) im gone love, its a van. cant wait just catch the stuff off the dash and watch the kit roll about in the back !! - bugger....

·
Old Member
814 Posts
Just had a look on Skylines Aus and 4000-4500 seems to be the revs most popular over there, but also asked the question on SDU forum if you want to check replies on that one. The 4-4.5k requires controlling wheel spin with the cluch, so don't be trying it too many times, unless you are handy changing clutches !!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The perfect launch....

Wild scottish smoked salmon on brown bread with a little salted butter,

A full bottle of crisp white wine,..

Monkfish tails sauteed on a bed of deep fried seaweed with a white dill sauce,..

Followed by deep fried clutch, lightly toasted rubber, a couple of hand-ground gear teeth, lightly peppered with optimism, a glass of euphoria, and an expensive bill to follow.

Hmmm...nice!

:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts