Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dubbs
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok here is the problem..... would be easy to point it out if there was a OBD connecter on this bad boy.....:confused:

car is running Extremely rich, while running, white smoke comes out of the exhaust...(smoke smells like gas too)

now im thinking... cylinder misfire?? does that sound about right??

what to do? change pulgs, wires, packs?? (plugs were just changed 3 months ago- not quite sure if gap on them would fawk me over, put iridum NGK into it- didnt regap them)

and its on a 98 GTT R-34...

need help PLEASE!!!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
there is an obd port in the car unless someone has cut it off

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
normaly right hand side under the panel where your knee sits

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Consult port is under the steering wheel right hand side. Normally a greyish coupler. Your problem could be many things. AFM and lambda being two of them. Then there is the ignition side of things and stuff like leaks etc. Also overfueling will cause black smoke not white.

·
Tuned by RSP
159 Posts
Consult port is under the steering wheel right hand side. Normally a greyish coupler. Your problem could be many things. AFM and lambda being two of them. Then there is the ignition side of things and stuff like leaks etc. Also overfueling will cause black smoke not white.
100% thru, and white smoke means that the car is burning water. make a compression test.

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
100% thru, and white smoke means that the car is burning water. make a compression test.
No, white smoke means white smoke.

Steam means there is a leak in the cooling system and water is being evaporated.... there is a huge visible difference between the two.

white smoke comes out of the exhaust...(smoke smells like gas too)

now im thinking... cylinder misfire?? does that sound about right??

what to do? change pulgs, wires, packs?? (plugs were just changed 3 months ago- not quite sure if gap on them would fawk me over, put iridum NGK into it- didnt regap them)

Wait a minute... Is it actually misfiring? Only you can tell us if it is or not.
Smoke does not = misfire.

As far as the smoke goes, check your PCV valve is working. If you don't have a PCV valve, I assume you have a catch can? (more questions may follow if you have a catch can)

Can you describe the conditions in which it smokes?
While idling? While under boost? After accelerating after coasting? etc
Are you 100% sure its smoke... and not steam?

The more specific you can be the better! :)

·
Boogiedyboogiedyboogiedy!
157 Posts
What mods are on the car? Im an hr and a half from you if you need help tearing it apart. Mine was doing the same thing, but was a pretty bad issue with timing and a bad ECU map. it = 3 melted pistons, but there was alot of blow-by and oil was being burnt when I hooked up a catch can.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I had these problems countless times, mainly the standard ecu wont take your car far away from the dealership. My timing misfires even now at very low revs...also i want to add the standard exhaust manifold and turbo will leak and crack and the turbo wont spool if played longer than 3 hours in a day..last this happened brother, this smoke that smells like gas? Engine misfiring? My crank angle sensor wont open the exhaust cams, the turbo was jammed it wont spool, oil was burning in the turbine, defragmented the metal, blew the exhaust manifold, i had to change all of these...let me repeat i had the same problem as your Gtt. If the white smoke comes off the exhaust maybe your manifold is still in order... This turbine of yours is oil and water remember that, and it wont take regular all day long driving and it will burn them when jammed or bearings break..

·
9,198 Posts
also i want to add the standard exhaust manifold and turbo will leak and crack and the turbo wont spool if played longer than 3 hours in a day
Absolute rubbish.
If the oil, coolant and general condition of the engine is good the car should run all day without a problem.
I regularly did a 5 hour non stop drive (mostly 100kph roads, including ascending and descending 2 mountain ranges) in both my old R33 (standard manifold/turbo) and my current R32 (standard manifold/turbo and later, RB25DET turbo) - nothing leaked, nothing cracked, nothing broke, nothing caused any sort of problem what so ever from driving that sorta distance.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Abey are u mad? It will not crack as soon as u take it to a drive what it is made of five bucks? I drive it in the city, and drive it in the highways. And note the temperatures are hotter in usa and middle east. There is no mountain road beauty weather talk here, if u drive it in those japanese kinda conditions the wear will be minimal. Give it a drive in traffic jams, hot humid weather, scorching sun heat all day long everyday like 7 days a week for 3 to 5 months you will see what i am saying, its my daily driver and i see underneath it more than i see in the mirror. The manifold is making diesel truck noise again...and the turbo wont spool after constant two hour maa chodi (since i cant abuse in englis i use my language for mf) .so bachoo your car ki gaand mein danda ata then you will know...

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
also i want to add the standard exhaust manifold and turbo will leak and crack and the turbo wont spool if played longer than 3 hours in a day.
bollocks to that as my car regulary done 165mph constant runs on germanys autobahns the straight onto germanys nurburgring for a couple hours at a time and guess what turbo and manifold NEVER leaked or cracked and neither has anyone elses i know of from just using it more than 3 hours a day

My crank angle sensor wont open the exhaust cams,
what has the crank angle sensor got to do with the exhaust cam not turning??????????? the exhaust cam works of the cam gear thats run directly from the timing belt so if the exhaust cam didnt turn neither would the intake cam.
This turbine of yours is oil and water remember that, and it wont take regular all day long driving and it will burn them when jammed or bearings break..
it will take all day driving as me and countless other peaple can testify including nissan who designed the car its when peaple do not service them correctly and dont ensure the car is run up to temperature before caned and allowed the turbo to cool down so no oil deposits stick to the turbo is when problems arise also using the wrong fuel will be detrimental as well.

·
9,198 Posts
There is no mountain road beauty weather talk here, if u drive it in those japanese kinda conditions
Mountain roads are very stressful on every part of a car.... the turbo will be working most of the time uphill. This mountain range is well above freezing in summer - no snow and quite warm. I don't know what the weather is like in Japan, but I'm fairly sure the weather here is quite different (in the city I live in at least) - a number of factors make the weather here quite unique.

Give it a drive in traffic jams, hot humid weather, scorching sun heat all day long everyday like 7 days a week for 3 to 5 months you will see what i am saying, its my daily driver and i see underneath it more than i see in the mirror. The manifold is making diesel truck noise again...and the turbo wont spool after constant two hour maa chodi (since i cant abuse in englis i use my language for mf) .so bachoo your car ki gaand mein danda ata then you will know...

Wait.... How hot are you talking about here?

Hot humid weather and traffic jams is pretty much all this city is known for in summer... Next.

You don't know any english swear words so you swear at me in your language? Err, why? I mean the abusing in general...
Also, very mature :disappointed:

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
banned for a month anyway now for abusing you

·
9,198 Posts
lol was that actually abuse? I only speak one language ...which makes his rant pointless too

Almost sounds like he moves to a desert and lives there for 5 months of the year which would be hard on a car, regardless of what it is

·
Registered
436 Posts
You all obviously dont know what your talking about... I drove my car for 10 minutes the other day on the autobahn and the engine fell out... It musta been the tempreture... LMAO :dogpile:

·
Boogiedyboogiedyboogiedy!
157 Posts
You all obviously dont know what your talking about... I drove my car for 10 minutes the other day on the autobahn and the engine fell out... It musta been the tempreture... LMAO :dogpile:
At least the floorpans didnt fall off...

!!!TO THE OP:

did you ever figure out your issue?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts