Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it's not the car. It's me. I just can't accelerate as quickly as i'd like. I know the obvious thing would be to tune it up, but I want to learn to drive it to its full potential!

I'm talking about a standard Skyline r33 gts-t with an autobox. Never driven an auto with performance in mind, see. And I'm not leaving anything vaguely sporty behind at the lower end... eg BMW 328s, 306 GTi-6s... (high end acceleration is fine cos the turbo's kicked in properly and the revs are all correct for the gear)

So without hurting the car how can i get the quickest 0-60s and also 20-60s out of roundabouts etc?

-Darren

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
thats a difficult as skylines are quite heavy cars, and with all turbo;s you will have to expect some lag before the turbo cuts in and gives you the dirveability you require.

In the real world there really isnt much difference in 0-60 times on the main road scenario.

:eek:) dont feel you let anyone down :)

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
on the turwestor drag day I took my auto r32gtst and did a couple of relatively successful launches (better than I'd managed on the streets). The technique was: Leave it in neutral and rev to about 3000rpm and push the shifter into drive. you might get wheels spin at those revs or you might bog down the auto so try it out dofferent revs.

the downside to this sort of start is that it isnt what the auto box was designed for. the other way (which i've yet to make work) is to put it in drive and hold the car on the foot brake and hand brake and and build some revs and then let the brakes go together.

as for 20-60 have you found the sport/power vs snow/hold buttons next to the shifter needs to say you want sport :) this holds the revs longer before changing up also switch off the over drive which on mine is a button on the shifter ( the auto will change to sport on its own but it takes a few secs to do this)

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
good one alex, how do you find it on acceleration when you want it to go, rolling start should be good.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
once your rolling above 30ish with the power button on and overdrive off the kick down is groovy and can catch you out :)

low speed rolling starts can be being slow as the 4 speed auto needs quite tall gearing for the motorway and you can slip the clutch

also there's a weird effect where if you squeaze the throttle you seem to get better pickup than if you just plant it (but then you dont get kick down)

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
So how does it take high rev, and slip into gear for launches then in your mind ?

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
not a good idea for that folks. This can seriously damage the torque converter in the auto box, this is something I would not want to do.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
sarky, not quite sure what you mean...
r32gtr, point taken

with the rev/slip into drive technique you can spin the rear wheels from standing on a clean dry road. so you've got some chance of getting the optimum power to the road.

the trick is to find the revs at which you dont bog and dont get silly wheel spin, cause you've got no clutch control and you dont really want to back off the throttle (or even feather) incase the turbo goes off boost or the BOV blows

as for the damage this may do to the auto box just look at the number of auto owners who have had probs (tho alot of this is due to the ATF cooling system which is engineered for a limited 110kmh). the brake bands haven't got a lot of friction material on them and there designed for a lifetime of computer controled shifts not launches. with a cluch you can replace it and uprate it but with an auto if the brake bands go you pretty much fcuked

so.. that leaves me trying the rev in drive with left foot on brake and hand brake on approach, but then your generating loadsa heat in the torque converter which is almost worse than the brake bands situation (i'd quite like to get some temp guages (pre/post cooler) setup to monitor this)

also you've gotta be synchronized with releasing the brakes or you'll spin the rears or sap power pushing along locked up fronts (a hydaulic lock off for the brakes might fix this tho, not sure how the abs would feel about that :))

·
milk monitor
1,181 Posts
shadowninja, have you done anything to your car yet, i noticed quite a difference in pickup after fitting my Apex'i cat back GT Spec zaust plus an Apex'i induction kit, (no i dont work for Apex'i) gave me much better responce, (sp? :() i also noticed the time saved not having to change gear manually saved a deceptive amount of time, just floor the go pedal and wait for the nice kick down mate :)
fourtoes x-R34GTT tiptronic owner

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
ALexJ answers my question , ta :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies, very interesting.

Looks like I should sort out some mild tuning then (have cat-back jap-legal exhaust at the mo).

As for launches, maybe I'll stick to what i'm doing currently then as I don't really want to buy a new autobox :-S (but make sure overdrive is off and sport mode is on... i've been driving with the middle option, not snow or sport tbh as i got the impression that was the normal mode to set and let the computer sort it out, but I suppose that loses vital seconds; plus i didnt realise sport mode held the gear for longer...).

Amusing thing i noticed was that going from a cruising speed on a dual carriageway in 'D' to dropping it to '2' @4000rpm while slowing for a roundabout, i heard a nice POP from the exhaust :D
Seems that '2' is more responsive to about 60mph and there's no chance of selecting any other gear once its out of '1'.

Anyway time to dust down my old AP-22 and head for my private test track ;) :D

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
I got myself a 0 - 60 of 6 secs at Turweston in my auto, with the GPS timing for the few runs it worked for, and I was certainly not hurting the box to satisfy a magazine editor at the time.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
buster, i dont think your best runs were timed, maybe radio2 was intefering with the satelite gear :).

i was reading SDU and they seem to favour the brakes on + rev (2500-3000rpm) it in drive approach they reckon 2-3secs is all you want to hold it for tho so you dont damage the torque converter. there are SDU chaps who reckon they've got near manual times doing this. one guy reckons "stalling up" the engine like this gives you a head start in building some boost.

a couple of people also say that starting with 3/4 throttle and squeazing is better than planting it straight off

here's one of the threads http://forums.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25102&perpage=25&highlight=auto launch&pagenumber=1

and another http://forums.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17932

1 - 14 of 14 Posts