Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all am new to owning a skyline GTST ive had mine about 4 months and its been sweet as a nut untill recently a few days ago it started making a strange tapping noise, the car its self still runs the same as it always has no lack of power etc no drop in oil pressure, problem is i carnt identify whats making the noise i have taken all the drive belts off so i have ruled out the alt, air con, power steering pump etc. noise is quite metalic and gets faster with revs, doesnt appear to be coming from block (but you know how hard it is to pin point an engine noise) only thing i have done recenly is changed oil to a fully sythetic of 5w 40 as recomended by someone on this site, cars got about 55,000 on it. i know its not a lot of info to go on but any advice would be great cheers all :feedback:

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
maybe injectors as mine does this too or slightly worn valves or cam lobes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does It Do It When Cold Or Just When Hot.
It Might Be The Oil Is Too Thin & Be Top End Noise If Your Engine Is Starting To Get A Little Tired.
This Is Just A Stab In The Dark, I'm Sure Some With More Knowledge Will Have The Awnser!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does it all the time gets a bit softer once car has warmed up, came on dead fast i mean it was fine one day and i notice it over the next 2 or 3

cheers for ideas so far like

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
it could be a noisy lifter

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thanks for your comments.

Removed cambelt cover just in case there was something silly happening, damaged belt etc, OK. Checked timing and found it to be set at 15 deg at 65o rpm as per manual,however when putting back together noticed noise went of if set at 18 deg, but came back on at 800 rpm ?

I'm trying to eliminate problems and the lifter are something worth checking, however would this happen so quickly i.e oil blockege problem or springs.

Going to try a bottle of Wynns Lifter cleaner before doing anything drastic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:drivin: any body got a clue ps anyone know if you can get clear cam cover for rb25 seen loads for 26

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
you cant get them for the rb25 but ones for the rb26 will fit if you mod them

·
Registered
62 Posts
This may seam a bit silly but I take it its not a snapped manifold bolt giving you a tick as I have heard a few people mentioning the RB25DET snaps bolts relatively frequently.

On the clear cover thing I heard you can fit the RB26 one on provided you use the RB26 back plate behind the cam gears I am going to do it myself somewhen.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not as yet thanks for suggestions ill look at manifold 2morro and cheers c-n for the cam cover hint ps dont forget to pop in anth this weekend mate be good to see you :->

G

·
:iagree: Yep, check all of the manifold studs it's a common problem and
generates all of the noise...

Also, get the longest handled screw driver you can find and put it on the various parts of the (non-moving) engine. The noise is amplified up the shaft and if you put your ear to it you will be able to identify the noise... this really works well mate :) Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi all thats for you advice, took it up to see scotty at skyline per parts, as he is somewhat of a skyline god, in about 3 sec he told me the answer it is the manifold gasket apparently the center section of the gasket has blown out as a result the metal plates are now knocking off each other, so ive order a new set of gaskets so hopefull get it sorted this weekend, and on the plus side bought a few bits off him 2 so ive had a pritty good day, ill let you all know if that solves it again thats all for input

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
fantastic news mate - scotty is a legend and if anyone doesn't know him off this site then you should! anthony scott at www.japanimportcar.co.uk - breaks em, supplies bits, uprated goodies and wotnot. can probably even supply you with a ton of burgers with all the cows on the farm next to him lol!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i he has all the best bits like def worth a look everyone, and as he said 4 out of 12 bolts snaped and the gasket had been blown apart, will hopefull tap them out tomoro as it took most of the day to strip cars to get to manifold what a bugger never mind all good fun

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well that was the noise so its all sorted now, was a bt of a piss about but happy to report road worthy again in fact as i write this the sun is blazing and am off down the coast, thanks again for everyones input

1 - 18 of 18 Posts