Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Godzilla lives in my Garage
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must be federally legal if in usa...I know where to buy 33's and even knew at one point of a 34 vspec but he decided not to sell ....even though I couldn't have achieved the 125k he was wanting up front.....but looking for a special or limited edition one if possible. Vspec,mspec,nur etc). Prefer dealer but not necessary in usa must be dealer in Canada please. Thank you all

·
Registered
646 Posts
There's only one special edition of the R34 gtr (nismo i believe) that is legal in the US and it's only for show and display import, so you wouldn't be able to drive it like a normal car. Not to mention starting prices are well over $100k. R34's otherwise are completely illegal.

·
Necromancer
75 Posts
There are two Skylines on the Show or Display list, the 1990 R32 GT-R Nismo (which in 12 days will become 25 years old and irrelevant as a SoD import) and a 1999 GT-R V-spec Early Edition which doesn't exist but I'm guessing if it's within 3 months or so of the start of R34 GT-R production you could import any V-spec. But you still have to pass it through EPA compliance so it's probably not worth it.

Besides that, the only legal-right-now R34s are the handful of Motorex cars.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sorry, i didn't follow how an R34 would be legal based on production start date? They would have another 10 years no? The R34's from Motorex are a bit iffy. One of the reasons they were shut down is that they were claiming 32's and 34's were the 33's that had been tested and approved. I believe the feds were going around seizing and crushing all 34's, starting with the motorex ones since they had the registration info handy. Skylineownersusa.com had a hug story on this a few years back.

·
Necromancer
75 Posts
I'm saying that on the SoD list is "1999 Nissan Skyline GTR V-spec Early Edition." That car doesn't exist so it's possible that you could pass through a literal early production '99 V-spec. I'm considering doing just that when the 21-year EPA exemption comes into effect for '99 R34s in 2020.

The Motorex R34s were granted a grandfathered pardon with an actual bond release letter so yes, they're completely legal. One of the owners actually posted a series of videos about his Motorex R34 GTR on YouTube and explained the entire process and legality.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Interesting about the 99 V-spec.

I know that not all Motorex cars were grandfathered. They did go after those that didn't complete the process and were returned to customers. I personally know one of the guys who still has the legalization specs for motorex. There's the famous image of the 2 motorex R34 GTR's, 1 red and 1 blue, sitting in the import lot after getting impounded a few years back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts