Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So can ayone explain why, when i have an LSD my car still manages to get VERY sideways even in the dry?

I am making an educated guess here that the LSD detects when 1 wheel spins and transfers drive to the orher wheel. But if the car has both wheels spinning what happens then?

Cheers

S

·
0 Posts
I thought a lsd detected when 1 wheel was spinning and locked the diff so that power goes to both wheels rather than being wasted in the one wheel that is spining????

·
Registered
469 Posts
It does but if won't stop you going sideways or spinning, especially if you boot it when you're not going dead straight.

Even if you're going dead straight, it's unlikely that the wheels have exactly the same amount of grip. Once yer even a little sideways then the weight on each wheel and loading on the suspension each side is quite different, so even with the same amount of torque going to each wheel it's not gonna have the same effect.

Only thing that can come close to stopping this completely is traction control.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
LSDs are really good at helping getting power down on the exit of corners cause it stops the unweighted inside wheel spinning the power away (this is more to do with "forwards" grip than sideways).

they help with sideways grip upto a point and then they kind of make it worse! as when the LSD locks up it can overload the outside wheels with all that power that was safely being spun away by the unlocked indside wheel before! giving snap oversteer, this depends alot on how gradually/gently the LSD locks the two wheels together.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks chaps, its as i suspected. The car is simply making too much power for the tyres to cope with :D :D :D

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
damn that right lead foot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts