Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello chaps...a new owner here ..and thick to boot...the r33 i've just bought...1995.. has a mod on it of a limited slip diff...(lsd)....great at high speed in the corner...but at low speed around a traffic island the rear wheels sort of jump against each other...causing a clunk sound from the rear...not from the diff i think but from the wheels slipping against each other...is this normal..and can it do eventual harm to the rear bits???

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
sounds like the diff is locked to me. :) where is that spanner monkey.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
yeah, sounds like a locked diff, had one on my old Evo 4 RS...sounds lumpy and clunky going round corners...

·
Registered
953 Posts
yep locked diff drift car maybe in former life ??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ta 4 info...i don't think its a locked diff or an ex d-car...it goes like greased weasel sh*t ...its r33 gts-t ..and yes has been uprated with a number of things....i think the diff spec is CXA-3050...put in in japan by trax(tomei)....mean anyfin?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just found paperwork...its a technical trax advanced CXA-3050 diff ..and ...ooops yes...could have been used for drift cars....hope not!!!...although it does have alarmingly low mileage....??!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there anybody there???.....who knows about this stuff????....or do you lot know a man who does??

B

·
0 Posts
i would say its a drift car too .. nowt wrong with that tho.

hasn't got a single bucket seat has it ??

·
Registered
953 Posts
mm drift car may be another one next year

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ta for info...already have tomei web site...does anyone know of a uk expert on this?....tomei don't seem to have a uk agent

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
You might try talking to the guys at Abbey M/S. They deal in a fair bit of Tomei kit and may be able to help.
Not sure about the other tuners, maybe Gary at GTart or Rod Bell etc. Could be worth a phone call just to check.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks big mark..will do...but as i said i'm new at this so do you have their contact numbers?...ta

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
From what you're discribing, it sounds like a normal, high quality, locking LSD. Tomei makes great ones that a friend stuck into his 180SX for drag racing. And it did the same thing, the car would take off like a rocket, but in tight turns it sounded like it would come apart! The clunking your hearing in when the rotational difference between the wheels in the turn exceeds the locking pressure in the LSD (A very high pressure I might add) and it allows the locker to slip to the next locking location. The fact is, everything is fine as long as your car's making that noise . Due to having that locker, if your doing a tight turn and it's not making that noise, that's when you need to worry! (Unless your drifting! :)

To calm your fears of it being a former drift car. A lot of Japanese also drag race and those type are quicker to upgrade the LSD due to the fact that the stock vLSD (Viscous Limited Slip...) that comes with the Skylines is more then enough to allow the car to drift. Usually only the professional Drifters will fork out the cost of a Locking LSD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts