Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sketchy on the bends
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTT used to idle like a dream, a solid unbroken purr that settled down to about 680-750 once the block warmed up. After a track day last year, it got a bit lumpy, sounding like it misfires about once every second or two. You can feel it through the seats and wheel quite clearly. At first it wasn't so frequent, but I think the misfires might be getting more frequent. Open the throttle a bit and it runs perfectly, but let it fall back to idle, and it stutters a bit. Any ideas what normally causes this?

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
I vote spark plugs!

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
okay do all the usual checks the guys there have mentioned.

here's one you might not have thought of tho - when Ian removed top half of my plenum we were quite surprised to see that upon removing the outer bolts the middle ones (the ***** ones underneath) were actually quite loose creating a rocking effect on the plenum. this had warped the gasket between the two halfs and also created a serious leak. As a result misfires/missing on idle and very rough running overall along with a noticeable hiss/leak from the plenum.

just something to think about mate

·
Registered
113 Posts
my R33 GTR was doing the exact same thing, it was a leak in the plenum or inlet manifold gasket...spray some carb spray all around the plenum gasket area and see if the engine speeds up...

·
Sketchy on the bends
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions - I will have a good look and see what I can see. In fact, although I've owned the car since last July, the parking I used to have was mechanical - you park in a garage and then when the doors shut, a giant machine whisks the car off into the bowels of the building somewhere. Because of this and the law that it's illegal to idle on the street in Tokyo, I've never even really looked in the bay when the motor's running. I'm going down to Southampton on Friday to pick my car up off the dock (after 2.5 lonely, lonely months) so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands dirty and learning something about my car. So thanks for the initial pointers guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts