Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas I have a serious problem and need some serious help. I was coming come from work and I think I was running 140 on the highway and all of a sudden my car just stops and shuts down. So I pull over and try to restart my car and it did but it was shaking like crazy and wouldn't go any faster than 40km. And if I tried to push pass 40 the car would rattle like crazy like it's about to shut down again. There was also this strong smell of something burning. Also it was eating up my gas like crazy when I was only going 40. What could be the problem? Could it be the turbo went out? I have got an oil change for a while now and only been adding oil over and over again cause my car eats up alot of oil. Could that be the cause as well not getting an oil change? I would appreciate it if someone can give me some info. Thanks a mil

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hey fellas I have a serious problem and need some serious help. I was coming come from work and I think I was running 140 on the highway and all of a sudden my car just stops and shuts down. So I pull over and try to restart my car and it did but it was shaking like crazy and wouldn't go any faster than 40km. And if I tried to push pass 40 the car would rattle like crazy like it's about to shut down again. There was also this strong smell of something burning. Also it was eating up my gas like crazy when I was only going 40. What could be the problem? Could it be the turbo went out? I have got an oil change for a while now and only been adding oil over and over again cause my car eats up alot of oil. Could that be the cause as well not getting an oil change? I would appreciate it if someone can give me some info. Thanks a mil
I will assume you were running 140 in US from some of your phrases! 140 was this KMH or MPH, if MPH 140 on a public highway :disappointed: :screwy: :shakehead:

·
Registered
733 Posts
he's not askin for catty comments!!!! the poor guys a*se has jus collapsed due to his car possibly being fooked!!!!!

He's being open as he wants the ryt help for his issues rather than sugar coating it!!!!
and given the detail, what help can you give? Seek professional help!?

·
Registered
733 Posts
none mate am useless with cars but i didnt start with oh ur speedin tut tut pioor guy don't need that !!!!!!!!
isn't this cause and affect though? Read the detail again, car was burning oil anyway then driven at 140?????

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Get your engine checked out buck, BIGTIME!! Sounds like piston ring failure to me. Stop drivng it also by the way but am assuming you knew that!! lol Pressure test would be a good place to start.
Also be careful about posting speeds buck, no matter what units they're in. You never know who's looking.
Very helpful there Caset. :D

·
no fun in straight lines
696 Posts
as said above could be rings or even the piston cracked between the ringlands, mine done that, just ate oil up like a child in a sweety shop..lol... any way back to your engine, did she start to rattle by any chance???

if your not fimiliar with working on your engine get her into your local expert m8

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Knock the bitching on the head guys. If you can't help the lad, don't post,.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Is there any oil leaking from anywhere under the bonnet, bov etc.?
Oil pressure?

As has already been said, get yourself to a competent garage for a full leakdown and compression test.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was doing 140km on a freeway. And when I try to start the engin it starts fine and starts to rattle and If I try to push over 40km it begins to rattle lot more and wont go over 40. I knew there was something wrong with the piston rings but not that serious. The problem I wondering is if my engine is out, but if I was able to go home pushing 40 I don't think the engine is out but maybe the air sensor or the injectors. I just thought maybe some peeps here would have some knowledge on this matter and not smart comments. If you own a skyline wait untill your car blows and see if it's funny. And for those who did try to help thanks a mil.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
? Surely anything wrong with the rings is serious ?

NAIL.HEAD.

Sorry dude but if you know you have piston ring problems then it IS a rebuild. May as well get that done and rectify any problems that make themselves apparent along the way.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you own a skyline wait untill your car blows and see if it's funny.
'Also be careful about posting speeds buck, no matter what units they're in. You never know who's looking.
Very helpful there Caset.'

The above is the only person who seems to have understood what I was getting at, maybe shoulda made myself clearer, would have prevented people going off the deep-end, posting speeds if you are in the UK is bad. Yes do have a skyline, yes have had my fair share of 'issues', not funny, comments not supposed to be funny either, just potentially giving you a reminder to cover your ar*e.

Hope you get the engine sorted soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts