Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im toying with the idea of ethier making my own wasted spark setup or even swaping uprated coilpacks form another make of car but what would be involed?
i have found the leads and wiring and also the ignition amp but would any coil pack drive my leads/
also how hard would it be to fit say uprated vw coil packs on a skyline as the are half the price of skyline ones.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'll be fitting a Ford coil pack soon. With the spec1 engine almost any coilpack will go on. The spec2 will need the driver pack to remain fitted, the box screwed on to the spark plug cover at the rear of the engine. Again any coilpack should work.

One way is to use single coils and a short plug lead. Spotted them on a 32GTR drag car.

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think im going for uprated mini 8mm leads as the only cost £12 for 4 and look up to the job
a omega v6 coil pack and then get a ingiton amp from a series 2 them work out the wiring!i could do it for well under £100 compared to £290 for spitfires.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you have the spec1 you don't need the driver pack.

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so say
£24 for leads
£35 or coils
£5 for wire and fittings
=£64
and say £45 for igniton amp

so at most im looking at £110 compared to £275 for spitfires and £190 for driftworks wasted spark and this will run snigle coils for each plug!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Be very careful when using other coils from other cars. Some single coils are still wasted spark (renault) not sure on VW ones but i have most of the wiring diagrams so should be able to find out if you need to know.

·
North Wales Area Rep
370 Posts
Not sure how relevant this is but isnt the firing order different for V engines and would the fact it's a block type coil work? Or is each coil in the block fed a seperate signal. Don't really know but it would be a cocern for me.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
It wouldn't make any difference, all you have to do is arrange the HT leads so it works.

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think i am going to get to a stage where i just do everything the expensive way and get the best results as i have found now a couple of time that cutting conners doesn't save money

1 - 20 of 22 Posts