Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking to Pope on the phone the other day and he's got me thinking. We all know these cars like to run on 99ron as standard, but I do know that they can be mapped to run safely on 95.

Basically what I'm asking is will mapping for 95 and then running on 99 give a greater power increase than mapping for and running on 99??

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Mapping for 95 ron will involve taking out some of the ignition advance to stop DET, therefore you will run lower power levels.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mapping for 95 ron will involve taking out some of the ignition advance to stop DET, therefore you will run lower power levels.
So by virtue of this, will subsequently running on 99 bring you up to the same power levels as before?

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
So by virtue of this, will subsequently running on 99 bring you up to the same power levels as before?
No, because you are not running more ignition advance. The idea of mapping on 99RON is so that you can get more ignition advance on the map and therefore run at a higher power level. Putting 99RON in the tank when its mapped at 95RON will be a waste of money on unneeded expensive petrol. All it will do is give you a large headroom when it comes to detonation. But this shouldn't come into it if the ecu is mapped properly. I could see the sense in mapping at 97RON and then using 99RON if it was for trackdays ('cause you will be WOT for a large portion of the time).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts