Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok who knows what is the maximum tread you can have on our cars, I have not done much invesitgation into this but I would like to know what we can do with this.

Anyone ?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Marv has 265's on his, thats the largest ive seen so far

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im interested in how you get along ok with those !

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
So long as its dry its fine, otherwise its time to use the granny button. Sarky you saw Marvs red GTS at the Bubble meet, it had the volks wheels. there will be piccies on Dave Wilkins site to jog your memory

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Stewart,
There is always some smartarse with bigger ones. I did read somewhere that NISMO recoomend 265's for the rear and 235's for the front of the 33 GTS.

Bear in mind the increase in wheel and tyre size will change the suspension characteristsics as it will cause fair percentage change in the unsprung wieght of the car

I thought the granny button locks it in second, disconnects the throttle, ruins your eyesight and totally buggers your ability to park

Paul :D

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Cool.....

So I'm close to the recommended for a car I don't have! Heh heh, thats my style!

I always though Granny Switches had something to do with knitting and scones, but that's maybe just the celtic blood.

Whatever they do, I've got too many switches as it is. Left the Intercooler water spray on the other day as the stereo was up too loud to hear the pump running. As a result I burned out the motor. Damn. Thats what I get for being a smart-a**e in the first place.

New rims aren't much heavier than the old ones for some weird reason, although obviously it still makes a difference. COuld be time to lower it methinks. Anyone got spring cutters???

KIDDING!

·
Registered
98 Posts
i've got 255/35/18 all round and they're fine, not sure what it does to the speedo etc, but who cares.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well in that case im close to it anyhow on the back. I think ill just go for some 265/45/17 and see how they go for a while.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used to run 265/35/18 rear and 235/40/18 front - it made a hell of a difference in terms of handling and cornering!!:p

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
WA1
Is that on stock suspension or has that nbeen changed?

Paul

·
Registered
110 Posts
Originally on Tein shocks and Springs which were OK but a little too harsh. Then I sourced a set of HKS Hiper Dampers and they were the best.

Suspension was a big plus factor but but the wider tread was in itself another improvement.

I first had the car on Teins and standard wheels (16 inch 205)which was appalling and traction was a major problem. I then moved onto Tein and the 18 inch Blitz rims which helped alot. Traction was much improved and the steering was only slightly heavier. My ultimate setup was 255/35 rear and 225/40 front. Not a huge difference but allows for a bit more flexibility in every day driving.

Finally the HKS coilovers went on and but I could not lower it too much because of the Jun front spoiler, but can honestly say at nearly the highest height setting still handled very well. The car was extremely sharp and agile at low speed and 140 mph plus was achievable without any stress along some of the local A roads in my area. Even beat bikes coming down from the Brecon Beacons on a regular basis simply because it was so stable even at speeds. Going around roundabouts was much improved. In fact I preferred the GTS handling to an R32 GTR on standard shocks! The only downside was the increased traction and therefore heavy wear on the tyres, I only ran S03s at the time and while brilliant for grip, would wear out in about 6000 miles.

If you were to run on standard height and suspension I reckon the wear could be uneven unless you were to adjust the alignment and possibly camber.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm using a standard

suspension setup on my GTS-T, and will have 255/55 rear (I think, they're in the bedroom and I can't bw a**ed to go look) and 235/45 front (I think, again). Tyres are Michelin Rallye2.

Shall see how they go on the standard height/ride, but I suspect, as WA1 says, that the wear will be uneven due to camber. Might get adjustable top arms sometime later in the eyar, but shall see what happens to these tyres first, as the standard 16" GTR rims n tyres are wearing fine at the mo.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well...

255's on today and they stick out the arch by about an inch (had to fit hub adaptor/spacers to clear the shock. Handles great with the increase in track, but, if the suspension dips the tyres hits the arch. Only happened once, with a passenger in the car (need to eat less obviously), but I think the arches need doing....... Somehow. I am NOT going to raise the car so its the only solution I can think of.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It really depends on the offsets of the wheel you buy. I have got GTR wheels at the moment with 255 all round. The rears hit the arches with passangers which is embarrasing so I will have to look at new rear wings or a new set of wheels. I would think the wheels are going to be cheaper.

I'm open to other suggestions though:)

Matt

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm looking

at GTR arch mods at the moment, on an R32 I think they are about 3 inches wider than the GTS. No idea about R33's I am afraid.

Anyone got any suggestions who to contact? Had one quote so far which was a bit pricey, and bearing in mind the spraying.... Ouch!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts