·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Bigblock R33
135 Posts
how do these behave on a forced induction car and whats the pros etc
They need a different kit but they have been used to great effect for years.... Google it and you'll find a mountain of useful information. A very good way of improving on existing mods for very little money.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both were stock remapped ECU's

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
fact ,,water/methanol injection gives gains on any engine without a remap and as done so for decades it lowers the intake temps and raises the octane rating of the fuel ,petrol or diesel

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to be fair you normally would get those kind of figures remapping a stock N/A ECU with no meth injected at all though eh..

who wrote that site page?, rarely you see so much bullshit TBH (sorry to be negative)
Those gains were on top of a remap

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just read the page... love the 30% more oxygen = 30% more power..... :S

I'm all for methanol injection but thats a bit optimistic
It does say you'd need to have dry ice or something to get them temps low enough to get 30% more oxygen, but I think it's a good explination

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
its never going to be 77 degrees inlet and never 0 degrees unless you was injecting nitrous which the person who wrote the article seems to know very little about as they call it NOS for starters (ignoring the bullshit comments about the dangers of N20)

its most likely the worst explaination i think i have seen because its an impossible example, it would never happen in the real world

if you wanted a real world example you would have the test done on a stock unmapped car in normal ambient conditions but as you know the gains would be something like -10bhp which wouldnt sell products so the bullshit storm commences in order to make a sale to people who know no better

methanol will not make more power on a stock N/A car, it will run rich and the ecu will not increase ignition advance, the car will run less power, it wont prevent detonation and it wont cool your engine either (it may cool the cylinder but thats not cooling the engine)

again im sorry to be negative

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
fact ,,water/methanol injection gives gains on any engine without a remap and as done so for decades it lowers the intake temps and raises the octane rating of the fuel ,petrol or diesel
no thats not a fact at all, raising octane does not make more power UNLESS you increase ignition advance, injecting H20 decreases power as does running rich (injecting meth without pulling fuel out of the map)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
As I understand it the lower intake temperatures is not the primary mechanism which produces more power. The water spray (vapour) in the cylinder causes increased compression as the water is uncompressable. The rise in RON is only an effect of the decrease in the likelyhood of detonation.
You'll even find an increase in steam injection, as was used in WW2 aircraft, will cause higher power and good Det prevention. Methanol is used in place of water almost entirely as it is less corrosive than water and has better lubricity.
Water injection also internally cleans the bores and piston tops as a side effect which is also good for engine life.
I researched N/A water injection a little while ago for my SR20 project (that never came to fruition).

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its never going to be 77 degrees inlet and never 0 degrees unless you was injecting nitrous which the person who wrote the article seems to know very little about as they call it NOS for starters (ignoring the bullshit comments about the dangers of N20)

its most likely the worst explaination i think i have seen because its an impossible example, it would never happen in the real world

if you wanted a real world example you would have the test done on a stock unmapped car in normal ambient conditions but as you know the gains would be something like -10bhp which wouldnt sell products so the bullshit storm commences in order to make a sale to people who know no better

methanol will not make more power on a stock N/A car, it will run rich and the ecu will not increase ignition advance, the car will run less power, it wont prevent detonation and it wont cool your engine either (it may cool the cylinder but thats not cooling the engine)

again im sorry to be negative
Well I've seen charge temps of 98 degree's on my 306 turbo which was measured by PACE and has been said in th earticle they say 0 degree's wont happen unless your running dry ice or the like, so I see it as a very good explanation.
Though most wouldn't have a charge temp that high although mine hits high 40's without using the meth injection and then will often drop to low 20's.

The Mazda and BMW M3 figures were done on near stock cars (induction kit and exhaust) after a remap.

No your right methanol wont alone make more power, but it will allow you to run more advanced ignition to make more, the car will see the cooler temps though through the IAT sensor and advance the ignition again making more power.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no thats not a fact at all, raising octane does not make more power UNLESS you increase ignition advance, injecting H20 decreases power as does running rich (injecting meth without pulling fuel out of the map)
I made more power without changing my MAP at all running 30% Meth and 70% water, although I am turbo'd against a NA.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I understand it the lower intake temperatures is not the primary mechanism which produces more power. The water spray (vapour) in the cylinder causes increased compression as the water is uncompressable. The rise in RON is only an effect of the decrease in the likelyhood of detonation.
You'll even find an increase in steam injection, as was used in WW2 aircraft, will cause higher power and good Det prevention. Methanol is used in place of water almost entirely as it is less corrosive than water and has better lubricity.
Water injection also internally cleans the bores and piston tops as a side effect which is also good for engine life.
I researched N/A water injection a little while ago for my SR20 project (that never came to fruition).
Having six times the latent heat of fuel and huge expansion rate from liquid to gas (single molecule of water - not droplets) water is the ideal substance to inject as a coolant. Having absorbed and dealt with the destructive heat, the by-product (superheated steam at x1400 volume increase) becomes an active partner in adding force to the downward pistons.
Water is converting the extra heat energy for wheel power. Without water, the excessive heat must be transferred to the cooling system and lost into the atmosphere.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
fact

when i took my car back for a remap after fitting a devils own kit with there recommended nozzles fitted,the mapper did a run with it switched off and a run with it on and there was 18bhp ath difference then he remapped it and altered the vvt and took in another 11bhp ath upto 395bhp ath at the same 15psi boost,so you can believe what you want i have seen it happen,although it was with a turbo'd engine

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
Well I've seen charge temps of 98 degree's on my 306 turbo

I made more power without changing my MAP at all running 30% Meth and 70% water, although I am turbo'd against a NA.

when i took my car back for a remap after fitting a devils own kit with there recommended nozzles fitted,the mapper did a run with it switched off and a run with it on and there was 18bhp ath difference then he remapped it and altered the vvt and took in another 11bhp ath upto 395bhp ath at the same 15psi boost,so you can believe what you want i have seen it happen,although it was with a turbo'd engine

turbo cars....NOT N/A cars, totally different engine parameters

on my own turbo car i have meth injection, i would say that i advertise that every time it gets a mention on this board..but i come from an N/A background and the same rules simply do not apply

also i very rarely mention this but apart from being a mechanic i am a trader..one that sells only nitrous and water injection kits lol

please read http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/WI.htm its a very good write up!

and just for those that are interested (seeing as its on the same site) this is/was my car, the guy who owned the site asked for a test drive
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/NOS.htm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts