Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n girls, I hope youve all had a good christmas / festive period and that alls well.

I have an issue - and before i get things thrown at me for the micra thread... I would join a micra club, but its not the same as it is here, you guys are generally more helpful, friendlier and on the ball :D lol

So providing no one on here minds....
I parked the misus micra in the garage xmas eve, took the skyline out and came back boxing day's evening, since then the micra wont start.

Its been overdue a service so ive done the following just to get it started:

Replaced spark plugs
replaced dizzy cap n rotor arm
replaced fuel filter

checked the spark from the dizzy (at first it appeared weak, hence changed dizzi cap n arm)

checked battery and its holding 11.9 volts (bearing in mind ive been turning it over quite a lot to try and start it)

have swapped over throttle bodies and air flow meter from my CG13DE micra but still no joy there.

the engine does turn over, there are no sounds of rattling timing chain or snapped timing chain.

im currently waiting for datascan to get back to me with an activation code for Nissan DataScan 1, gonna see if i can hook it up to the mrs laptop to see if theres an electrical / sensor fault ive overlooked.

There arent any warning lights coming up on the dash, just the usual IGN lights.

im thinking it could be the distributor itself, or perhaps a fuse somewhere along the line but havent checked any as yet.

can anyone think of anything else i might of missed?

Its a new one for me cos the common faults with Micras are AFM and distributor, but like i say it is providing a spark, and my car started fine with the CG10DE throttle body/afm.

Many thanks in advance for your time, and i appreciate its not a Skyline, but i could do with a fresh set of brains on the case (as mine are useless this time of year lol)

Andy

ps if the thread is to be deleted, could someone let me know so im not looking for something that might not be there... for not being a Skyline. cheers

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
11.9 volts at the battery isnt good,the voltage will be lower than that when its moved through the loom,give it a charge

·
Just another brick in the wall
2,693 Posts
Andy mate might I suggest you sign up on SXOC and ask same again, there's alot of real wizz kids over there. Can't hurt to post up on two forums. I think this is all a cunning plan to trap Sarah in leighton with you lol

·
Just another brick in the wall
2,693 Posts
11.9 volts at the battery isnt good,the voltage will be lower than that when its moved through the loom,give it a charge
That's a good point. Remember my skyline has a micra battery in, I know it's a bigger car but that won't turn over with any less than 12.5v

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this is all a cunning plan to trap Sarah in leighton with you lol
you know..... too much ;) lol

nah ive not done it intentionally, but i do like the idea all of a sudden lol it would be explaining how the engine just sort of, jumped out by itself and proceeded to dismantle itself :D Sadly she'd find a way around it... like using my micra, and id have to use the skyline... oh when the snow comes... done it before so i can do it again (he says, assumingly and confident lol)

koh - ive also tried jump starting it off my micra which is good and its still not having any of it, il give it another go though just in case i was being impatient before lol

Datascan guys are off til the 4th, so looks like i wont be able to give a full scan for faults anytime soon :(

cheers so far guys :)

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
skylines also have a low compression which makes them easier to crank over

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Check the fuse box in the engine bay at the front (its clearly labled) as i have seen these corrode and the wiring underneath where the relays sit.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool guys thanks for the replies so far, heres an update.
Ive got it running, 14.4 volts at the battery, so i let it warm up while i put all the tools away, once it had warmed up, it started missing a bit.

inside the car thers a relay that clicks as the engine rpm drops, it doesnt stall if you give it a few revs. at this point i started thinking AFM again and disconnected the TPS (no change) and the AAC connector - then it sorted itself out temporarily, then went back to the symptoms again.

gonna get it a new battery tomorrow n hopefully that will sort it out lol... all i did before it started was put a small fuel can of Tesco 99Ron..... go figure - it already had over 1/4 tank when i thought sod it, might as well...

thanks again for the replies, very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
after further testing and ecu checking, im putting it down to 2 things that it could be:
1. Lambda sensor
2. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

But I cant say ive known known either of these to give these symptoms - I know the ECTS on Golfs play hell with them (which what makes me think it could be this), but the lambda sensor ive never known to cause the symptoms.

In order to keep this more Skyline related, has anyone had this issue with theirs? like either of the above failed and caused these symptoms?

:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts