Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok -no laughing -but when i start my car -it STINKS -just like a men's public toilet (no offence men!). Really bad. I have been told its probably bacteria in the air con unit --but this smell is there regardless if air con is on -it does go away after a (long) while and its driving me crazy. my car is still under warranty -do you think this is a good enough reason to take back to garage? if not -how do i get rid of this smell? -its costing me a small fortune in magic trees (and the green magic trees seem to make it worse!!).

Please help before I lose the few friends I have!!!

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
does it get worse when you squirt the windows withthe washers?

mine smelled cos the water had gone stagnant....some new screen wash and time sorts that.

other wise is it just when air con is on? or does it happen when its just the fan ..(blowing with aircon off?)

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No -doesn't get worse with washers. It smells regardless if the aircon is on or off -really bad. I'm back at work next week and i often use my car for work -carrying passengers (work with teenagers in care). I need this sorted fast otherwise my passengers will think i have a bladder problem!!

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
does it sort of smell of rotten cabages:uhoh: if it does it will be the air con.
i had this with one of my previous nissans, with mine you could even smell it when you got out the car and were standing near by, i put up with it for months thinking it would go away before takeing it to the garage, it was somthing to do with the air-con but i cant remember what but they did sort it

or you could have a leaky window like mine has in which case it will be a damp carpets you can smell

:dunno:

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks honkong -no rotton cabbages -definetly urine!! lol . And definetly not leaking window -no damp carpets.
Im going to ring the garage where i got it from today -see if they can help.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Go and buy an air con cleaning aerosol from halfords or somewhere like that, you stick it in your car and close all the windows with the fan on full blast and on recirculating. cleans all the nasty smelly bugs out of your car and they dont cost much. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers -I'll try that -i'm at Halfords tomorrow anyway.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine stank due to stagnant water.

Did you get a bit trigger happy with your right leg and piss yourself through excitement or fear?

You may have blocked it out your memory through the shame of it :)

On another note me and my mate were out in his fessie a year or so back and we had to plug the floor vents and one or two others as he had a mouse in his heating system. We was driving to dover and saw it pop its cheery little face up to one of the vents.

Needless to say 200 miles on full heat with the windows down for our sake enabled him to find a well cooked carcass a few days later, Joys of him living in the middle of a load of fields.

·
South East Area Rep
337 Posts
I know this is a wild shot but the car/previous owner could of been a victim of a revenge attack. I've heard stories of ex partners pouring various nauseous liquids down the scuttle vent on there cars, just to annoy them, especially if it means something to them?
It does'nt stop at cars either, but you never know jealous crazy ex etc, and some very nasty smelling stuff?
Previous owner realises, and chucks a bottle of disinfectant/bleach type cleaner down there and could be a cause for a lavvy type smell then trades it in later.
You buy it and the smells still there? It's just a possibility, but i'd have a look anyway.

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
i hope there is a filter for the air con,its just a bacteria attack waiting to happen otherwise
im having my dash apart to look for the filter at the weekend,let you know where it is

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dunno if its the same on skylines, but on every other car I've had with air-con, its as simple as spraying some dettol into the air con system (cars ive had had a seperate air intake for it)

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL -oh boy. Ok -i have definetly not pissed myself through fear or excitement so cross that one off (although i have come close). No ex partner or ex owner has had revenge on my car (just imported from Japan -its fresh import) -i cant see a neighbour doing this for a laugh as i live on an estate with really old people (then again ---) I dont think its a mouse but God help me if it is -i would totally freak out if it "popped its head whilst driving" !
Im going with the air con -it was recently totally changed (6 weeks ago) -maybe they didnt clean it?! Ill try the halfords spray today. I have also got in touch with the garage where i bought it to see if they can sort it.
Thanks for all your help -so reassuring you are helping me get rid of my smells!

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOl -very funny Chief -the bootwell was full of water -not blood. And no -thats not the smell -we fixed that a while back with some well placed holes.
Found a few Yens and even a tin of jap shaving foam! Oh -and a picture of a jap cat some jap kid drew! But no dead bodies. Yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts