Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I haven't posted pics yet, but I'm getting ready to start on my project, which is a 1963 classic mini cooper, outfitted with R33 GT-R suspension, driveline and motor. Are there any quircks that people think I should know about?

-James

·
Registered
814 Posts
uhm .... not sure.. but i think the engine and gearbox are pretty much the length of the car already?

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts
mate i cant wait to see this good luck with the project!

i chatted to a bloke about his mini fitted with a turbo'd ZX10R engine in the back it looked fantastic and completely went like the nuts i loved it but putting a skyline engine will be even better!!

post pics as u do it for us mate!

·
Wish my car wasn't a 5 hour flight away!
382 Posts
WOW!! if you pull this off you will be a legend!! please keep us updated and you best be getting vids on youtube!
Hey you can rename it the G-wee-R

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
well i doubt you'll be needing the drive shaft, you can bolt the tranny straight to the diff.

we will definitely need pictures of this and good luck with the project

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post pics as is right now. Right now it's just a shell with mini suspension and what not on it. And the way I figue it, the worlds fastest mini has a rwd chevy big block motor in it, so a skyline motor can't be too much harder... I'm hoping to find some GT-R parts for the suspension, so I can make it awd. World first ever 280+ bhp 1400 lb car? It'll go like a raped ape.

-James

·
Boom , headshot !!!
752 Posts
By no means do i wish to hijack your thread , but i thought these may be interesting to you. Although this is not in any way a road car , and it was in the 80's when my dad used to be among the top at his game , its his fully race prepped 3100 ltr V6 ford engined grass car , with a jag rear axle. This was over 230 rwhp , and the front was lengthed by a few inches to accomodate the engine , and was driven from the back seat. It has a Aston martin rad in the rear window.

If you wish me to edit the post feel free to say

:cheers:
Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, that's fine. Just proves it can be done! Granted this isn't how I'm going to mount it, but it might help the non believers.

-James

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the youtube link to the worlds fastest classic mini. If he can fit a 7.2l big block, a inline six shouldn't be too big a problem...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, now, if anyone has them, or can get them, does anyone have the length, width and height of a RB26DETT motor, same for the tranny, and possible the length of the whole assembly minus driveshafts? That's what I need to know for if I'm going to have to build a custom subby or modify the one I have. Thanks!

-James

·
Registered
596 Posts
there is a couple of fiat 500s the old ones that used 2 go 2 shows with huge american muscle v8 in them, so if that can b done cant see y a rb26 wont fit,

the engines were mounted in the front and were boxed off in inside the car where the driver would usually sit, and the driver then had 2 sit where the back seats would be

they used 2 hit 60 in 2.5 seconds

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly. However I'm going to try like hell to keep as much of it in the front as possible and keep the original seating, or close to it at any rate. Hence why I need measurements.

-James

·
Registered
136 Posts
Exactly. However I'm going to try like hell to keep as much of it in the front as possible and keep the original seating, or close to it at any rate. Hence why I need measurements.

-James
What do you mean that you need measuremants?

Dont you have an RB26 or gearbox at all?

You really need to go and look at an RB26 complete with gearbox attached and take pics and measure the over all length and width.

Ideally you also need a Mini with you too.

Its pointless trying to do this by just asking for measurements over the internet.

You also have to add into the equation the likes of transfer case,and other ancilleries aswell.

Also a GTRs track is alot wider than a mini,so you got to look at this aswell.

Unless you have the mini and all the gtr parts there with you to do a mock up.then I cant see this happening otherwise.

Good luck though.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts