Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know most of you will shout Coilpacks but could it be something else ?

Had a few runs tonight and found that off boost it will pass that rev range ok, even on low boost it will still go as it should, as soon as the foot goes down missfire !!

Could fuel filter, fuel pump or injectors be to blame ??

Just wanted ideas before buying splitfires !! I don't want to buy them just to find the problem is still there !!

Unfortunately no Skyline garages around here such as RSP !!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
plugs??? but bear in mind mate it will pass the rev range fine as off boost there isnt much of a load on the coils as soon as you do put a load on the coils break down

D

·
0 Posts
How much boost you hitting and what mods you got?

this should help identify if it might be fueling issue ( maxing out injectors) or plugs / coilpacks etc etc

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Plugs are newish, couple of thousand miles no more.

Looks like new coils then sausagereeper lol

Did take them out yesterday for a look and noticed they had been electrical taped already, so poss they were on there way out a while ago. Thanks for the input though fella :D

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much boost you hitting and what mods you got?

this should help identify if it might be fueling issue ( maxing out injectors) or plugs / coilpacks etc etc
Shouldn't be maxing out, only 330bhp stage one tuned 0.85bar

just wondered if a clogged or sticky injector might cause that or a soiled fuel filter ( although that was changed last year)

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Plugs are newish, couple of thousand miles no more.

Looks like new coils then sauagereeper lol

Did take them out yesterday for a look and noticed they had been electrical taped already, so poss they were on there way out a while ago. Thanks for the input though fella :D
i try my best mate :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
coilpacks without doubt mate..... same thing happened to me!

go to RB motorsport mate, i do and your closer lol!

heres their number to ask their advice, they dont bite and im 99.9% sure they could diagnose over the phone which will put your mind at rest lol also they are cheap to buy them from......
01704 822848

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Oilman is doing them for £250 delivered so will give him a call and get some sorted !!

Cheers Guys !!

Might even get it rolling roaded just too prove or disprove the theory they increase torque, personally I don't believe it at all !!

·
Altered Beast!!!
753 Posts
Splitfire have just put their trade price up too!!!
I'm in East Yorks, even closer!!!
Do you know anyone you can borrow a set of coils off to try, I've had a few issues with the lamda sensors in the past, which causes a misfire...

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,701 Posts
coilpacks are not always the fix, they may just hide the actual problem a bit longer.....

have you had your timing checked recently? i had the same problem, replaced al the suggested parts but found out my CAS sensor was duff knocking the timing out, got a replacement one and its been fine ever since......

·
Registered
625 Posts
coilpacks are not always the fix, they may just hide the actual problem a bit longer.....

have you had your timing checked recently? i had the same problem, replaced al the suggested parts but found out my CAS sensor was duff knocking the timing out, got a replacement one and its been fine ever since......
how did you test the CAS sensor? or was it down the trial and error?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
was it missfiring before you changed the plugs? u been on here long enough to know about the 0.8 gap so im assuming its not somthing so simple...but its easy to asume the new plugs are gapped correctly only to find out they aint later...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plugs have been fine since fitting no problems after fitment, Timing belt was done last year and had no problems with missfire after that was done. fuel filter changed last year. Nothing has been changed since the RSP remap and all was well with that also.

Missfire just appeared the other day and has been there since, Cleaned the AFM and did a ECU reset just to see if that made a difference and none at all, Checked pipework and vacuam hoses also.

As said it will happily go past 4.5k unless on boost.

ABBEY quoted 350 +vat then decided to do them for 350 inc VAT so I passed.

Ordered from Opie and will await the results when they arrive.

The coil packs have never been changed and they are electrical taped so possible they have been on there way out for a while ? It's all ways something I was going to do I have just been putting it off until I needed too maybe now is the time.

Unfortunately not too many skylines around here and spec 2's seem to be harder to find than spec 1's. So although I would have liked to have tried another set I've just bit the bullit and bought.

Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Aberdeenshire Area Rep
1,104 Posts
I had a missfire on mine at the same revs as full boost came in (only running stock boost) very badly miss firing but a change of plugs cured it 100% :) Still on standard coilpacks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts