Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem to have a missfire happening around 5 to 6 grand splutters then b.ba.ba.ba then off she go's.

So thorght this maybe the sparkplugs so bought some nice new ngk's and sliped them in went out for a test drive!!!!! yea u guessed it.... still happening!

So what else could be causing it?? could it be the battery cos every now and then the batt light comes on in the dash! maybe a electrical fault or just a drained battery??

So what do you guys think what should i be looking for or at??

·
R34 Next?!
1,029 Posts
Does it do it higher up as well?

I've just replaced my coil packs for a splutter/misfire which has solved the issue. Very similar symptoms. I had mine from RSP they've got a set for £230 I think. Best checking theres no leaks or damaged pipes etc as well

·
bla
17,374 Posts

Maybe a quick search will bring you a thousand threads on this...

Coilpacks are often the fault in high 4500/5000 rpm...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi yea sometimes happens at 7 to 8 grand too! got splitfire coil packs on and sod all money to replace em so hopeing not them the missfire doesnt allways happen so think may be all tubes are ok cos if some were split it'd happen all the time???

·
bla
17,374 Posts
:rofl: That would be because its redline at 7000...

You have splitfires already..

What plugs do you have in? What are your modifications..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right spec list

GARRETT 2860-5 TURBO
HKS TIMING BELT
TOMEI 260 IN/EXT CAMSHAFTS
TOMEI 1.2mm METAL HEAD GASKET
TOMEI CAMSPROKET
HKS DUAL POWER FLOW WITH EXTENED PIPES
ADJUSTABLE TENSION ROD
ALLOY OIL CATCH TANK
RELOCATED OIL FILTER
HKS FRONT PIPE
CUSTOM EXHAUST (CAT BACK)
DE-CAT PIPE
SPLITFIRE DI IGNITION COIL PACKS
APEXI EXHAUST SILENCER
JAPSPEED ENGINE DAMPER
FUELING
SARD 660cc INJECTORS
SARD BIG FUEL PUMP
SARD FUEL REGULATOR
GREDDY FUEL RAIL
COOLING
TRUST 3-WAY INTERCOOLER
TRUST INTERCOOLER PIPING KIT

and probley a bit more when i think of em ill put em up

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,712 Posts
what you might also find is that if you accelerate slowly up through the revs and past your pain point, it wont stutter/miss

this was the case for me on my first skyline, got it onto a dyno and it was horribly overfueling, got that sorted and it was fine

that was after AFMs/coilpacks/plugs/CAS sensor was all replaced, none of which needed to be replaced

lesson learnt! lol

missfire is not always coilpacks(dont get me wrong, sometimes it is), if coilpacks do "fix" it, its just masking the actual problem......

·
bla
17,374 Posts
what you might also find is that if you accelerate slowly up through the revs and past your pain point, it wont stutter/miss

this was the case for me on my first skyline, got it onto a dyno and it was horribly overfueling, got that sorted and it was fine

that was after AFMs/coilpacks/plugs/CAS sensor was all replaced, none of which needed to be replaced

lesson learnt! lol

missfire is not always coilpacks(dont get me wrong, sometimes it is), if coilpacks do "fix" it, its just masking the actual problem......
That method can still point at coilpacks...

Underload a weak spark caused by a crap coilpack can blow out causing the missfire..
Ive had it on 2 skylines, and the majority of missfires on here are coilpacks..

If coilpacks do fix it.. then coilpacks were the problem ;)

If it was overfueling, then coilpacks wouldnt make a difference.. It would still over fuel

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

lesson learnt! lol

Yea accelerating slowly is ok! Its defferently over fueling geting some monster flames (which i hate cos its wasted juice).

i need some z32 afms and want a apexi d-jetro and a good map to get the most out of her. but i aint got the cash for them yet

she was all right untill a coulple of days ago then just started with the problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.