Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just changed my pads and disck on my 96 R33 gts. I didn't replace with anything special, just standard Nissan replacement disc and new pads.

I'm slowly getting braver with my braking and today decided to do a couple of heavy stops.

When I got out of my car I had light, but noticable amount of smoke coming from both sides.

I know they can get hot but I've never seen this before. Should I expect this for new pads and discs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
not sure on skylines, but with most cars u've got to wait about 100 miles or so for the pads to bed in.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Don't think they should get that hot. Maybe you should try jacking up the front of the car and try turning the wheels to see if the brakes are binding or dragging at all. If so your calipers or master cylinder might need some attention.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
I do hope you have given them at least 50 to a 100 miles to bed in, and if your talking about excessive emergency stops then you will produce huge amounts of energy and if they havent been bedded in.

I suggest you dont do it again for a while, for fear of glazing your pads and warping your discs.

( Dad )

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounded very parental!

I gave them 250 before I chucked the anchor out of the window, I won't be doing it again in a hurry, further bedding required I feel.

ta everyone

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took them apart at the weekend and I think I have found the smoke problem.

I was perhaps a little too generous with the copper slip.

Lesson learnt

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
exactly, nice to know what the problem is though.

How are the brakes bedding in now ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts