Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping around for a skyline and want to get a couple of things straight before I decide what to buy.

Firstly what are the main differences between the R32 and R33. Also which year did the R33 start ?

Secondly what the difference between a car that's type M and one that's not.

Thanks a lot

Gary

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
R33

GT-S started in 1993, GT-R in 1995.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
R32's

are a bit shorter than R33's (33's are HUGE!). Having said that, they're still big ol' cars.

Cosmetically there are huge differences, R33 is a very rounded car, and the theme continues into the interior. Got a nice dash style, very modern (reminiscent of mid nineties toyotas too). R32's have a rather dated dash (IMHO - although I love my R32).

R32's are a bit lighter too, and of course, cheaper to buy.

On the GTS front, R33's are all (I think) 2.5l, whereas the vast majority of R32's are 2 litre.

The GTR's of course are both RB26DETT.

I believe also that R32 GTS's can run higher boost on stock than R33 GTS', but you might want a few more opinions on that one, and it is a 500cc bigger lump.

Both got 24valve twin cam trains in em, and six cylinders inline of course (what other engine could there possibly be?).

In terms of handling, probably not much noticeable difference unless you are used to one or the other.

Theory goes that the R32 is the best handler of the lot,and I'm probably going to get shot for saying that, but it wouldn't be the first time.
Personally, I think you'd have to be close to your own personal limit to notice much difference in that respect.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers

Thanks for all the info. This looks like gettting expensive already. Went to a car auction on Monday and saw an R32 there that I liked but it's the 2.0ltr non-turbo. So I keep thinking if I'm gonna spend so much, then I might as well spend a bit more, then a bit more, and so on.

Guess I deserve it though after putting up with a Mondeo for 5 years.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Buster....

:D

Bigger than mine!

But, I have got more stickers, so mine must be faster! ;)

Grebo..... Personally I would go for a turbo if your budget allows (and you can find one), but the non-turbo skylines are still mighty machines. Just depends what you want out of it at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
heya im just wondering how i tell what type gts i have cause i been trying to find out for a while now but just cannot seem to find anything..

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
heya im just wondering how i tell what type gts i have cause i been trying to find out for a while now but just cannot seem to find anything..
Bumping an 8 year old thread is kinda frowned upon by the powers that be.....

Look at the blue tag on the firewall..... it will give an engine code - eg RB20DET
What does yours say?

If your not sure, a post up a pic of the engine bay.

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
how did you find an 8 year old post and not the info you wanted lol it really is beyond me.

·
in love with the twins
781 Posts
I hope people don't start bumping old threads!

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
I'm guessing he did a search of sorts and found this thread,then reposted it in good faith.
I cant see him spamming because hes only got I post lol.
Surely a newbie reposting an old thread that was relevant to his question is ok?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts