Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right people where do you start to get the most out out of the RB25DET once you've gone the air filter & exhaust route??

I've been looking at parts/ combinations of parts to see what is available, though i'd like to know which will give the best gain and drive-ability from those that have passed this stage already!!

Providing it gets through the MOT nicley next month and i can save abit of cash, i'm leaning towards a

* FMIC + Greddy e-manage. As i don't mind the standard 2 stage boost system
or
* Greddy profec B 2 boost controller + Gauge and pod.

Also is there anything else worth while to add to the car before it is mapped if i decide to go that route-up rated AFM,Z-32?? Would like to get all neccessary parts together and get it mapped once with a host of goodies that will be needed for future upgrades you see.

By the way i don't want to just wind up the boost and send the turbo on it's merry way through the exhaust pipe :D as i don't fancy shelling out on a new unit until next year at least.-Depending on circumstances. Also my daily drive...........

Current spec is;
* de-cat, down pipe full exhaust
* splitfires
* Apexi cone filter
* 238bhp at the wheels-though would like 300+ yesterday:drivin:

If thats any help to you tuning guys.

:cheers: Les

·
Always sideways
4,260 Posts
Power FC + Commander
Profec B Spec II Boost controller
Turbo Elbow
Downpipe
Boost Gauge
Front Mount Intercooler
Exedy Clutch
Splitfire Coils
Ferodo DS2500 Front brake pads
Rear strut brace

That's the list of stuff away to be fitted. That's on top of the Apexi power intake, iridium plugs, and Powerflow exhaust already fitted. Then it'll be mapped.

After that I'll add bigger injectors, Q45/Z32 AFM, steel HG, re-worked turbo etc for more power.

·
In dentibus anticis frustum magnum spiniciae habes
9,524 Posts
I have similar mods, when i first got mine it had a 5" exhaust and an HKS Air filter, Tein Springs & Dump Valve, since then I have added:

Nismo Fuel Regulator
Apexi AVCR Boost Controller
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
NGK Iridium BKR8EIX Sparkies
3" HKS Downpipe
3" Front Mounted Intercooler
3" De-Cat pipe
KYB Street Shockers
Ferodo DS2500's on front
HKS Turbo Timer
Billion Super Solid Radiator hoses
Shiny stuff and hoses
Rising Sun Engine Damper Kit
Front Strut Brace

And to stick on in next month or so:

XS Power Turbo Elbow
Apexi Air Cone Filter
Tomei Z32 AFM
Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
Uprated Steel Internal Turbo

And then I will go for

Splitfire Coilpack
Momo Jet Steering Wheel
330mm Front Discs
Nismo 550 Injectors

thats should get me 350+ bhp i would think easily

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
QOUTE;
Current spec is;
* splitfires
* Apexi cone filter
* 238bhp at the wheels-though would like 300+ yesterday

Things I would get next;

1. Boost gauge
2. Electronic boost controller (set at 1 bar Max) WITH STANDARD TURBO.
Which you can do yourself.

then:
3. power fc or emanage ultimate
4. bigger injectors
5. z32 or Q45 AFM.
6. STEEL HEAD GASKET.
7.WALBRO OR GTR FUEL PUMP+ REGULATOR.
8. STEEL INTERNAL TURBO

GET THIS LOT FITTED AND MAPPED AT THE SAME TIME OR YOUR JUST WASTING MONEY, LIKE I DID. :grinno:

·
Registered
279 Posts
more bhp

last rolling road i had fitted fmic irridiam plugs blitz induction kit hks cat back hyper muffler zorst and a knight racer decat pipe and manual boost controller hit 280 bhp ath, i have now added greddy profecb 1 boost controller uprated steel internal turbo apexi safc2 air fuel controller hks actuator japspeed down pipe and turbo elbow and having it mapped tommorow, will post results next week as i will be off to santa pod at the weekend to give it some large, on the old set up i ran a personal best of 14.72 1/4 mile so looking to improve.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:cheers: guys plenty of reading and pondering for me to do now.

I really do want to get all the parts together for one mapping session like you say to save cash in the long run-makes sense.

Really didn't want to push the standard turbo hence wasn't looking at a boost controller and was saving that for the uprated turbo.

Like i said i'm quite happy with the 2 stage boost as standard thats why i was looking at getting larger amounts of cold air into the intake and then looking for something to control it & maybe make it work better????

Was basically considering which would give the best increase FMIC and e-mange or just the Boost controller.

Looks like it'll be the boost controller + gauge + pod.(£300 ish) as opposed to £1000+ for the e-manage and FMIC.

AS i should really be saving for a house....................but the prices of them really start to put me off.:swear: :swear: :swear:

·
violence IS the answer!
1,371 Posts
oreyt les? i had mine on the rollers and managed 311.1 BHP, the mods on my car at the time were:

* hks exhaust with de-cat
* hks mush air filter
* hks irridium plugs
* hks bov
* mines ecu
* FMIC

gonna get it on the rollers again soon cos ive just bin spendin a few more brazzilian pounds on her!

* ACT paddle clutch
* walbro fuel pump
* AFPR
* 3" downpipe with screamer pipe

and now im awaiting stainless manifold, steel internal turbo, safc 2 and Z32 AFM.

you will have to keep us posted on what you end up gettin and then what BHP you get from it.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ayup festa, thats a pretty dam good figure you got there. Seems that mines ECU is doing something for it. Though you might want to change it to get more out of your planned mods.

Yeh still thinking and seeing what bills need to be cleared first-Doh, and working overtime to get the readys together............could be a while.:(

·
bla
17,374 Posts
oreyt les? i had mine on the rollers and managed 311.1 BHP, the mods on my car at the time were:

* hks exhaust with de-cat
* hks mush air filter
* hks irridium plugs
* hks bov
* mines ecu
* FMIC

gonna get it on the rollers again soon cos ive just bin spendin a few more brazzilian pounds on her!

* ACT paddle clutch
* walbro fuel pump
* AFPR
* 3" downpipe with screamer pipe

and now im awaiting stainless manifold, steel internal turbo, safc 2 and Z32 AFM.

you will have to keep us posted on what you end up gettin and then what BHP you get from it.

Wow mate, im well impressed with those figures........ I hope mines running that... Dont think it is though...... :crazy: lol

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Right people where do you start to get the most out out of the RB25DET once you've gone the air filter & exhaust route??

I've been looking at parts/ combinations of parts to see what is available, though i'd like to know which will give the best gain and drive-ability from those that have passed this stage already!!

Providing it gets through the MOT nicley next month and i can save abit of cash, i'm leaning towards a

* FMIC + Greddy e-manage. As i don't mind the standard 2 stage boost system
or
* Greddy profec B 2 boost controller + Gauge and pod.

Also is there anything else worth while to add to the car before it is mapped if i decide to go that route-up rated AFM,Z-32?? Would like to get all neccessary parts together and get it mapped once with a host of goodies that will be needed for future upgrades you see.

By the way i don't want to just wind up the boost and send the turbo on it's merry way through the exhaust pipe :D as i don't fancy shelling out on a new unit until next year at least.-Depending on circumstances. Also my daily drive...........

Current spec is;
* splitfires
* Apexi cone filter
* 238bhp at the wheels-though would like 300+ yesterday:drivin:

If thats any help to you tuning guys.

:cheers: Les
Les really you need to do the Greddy profec B, E-manage and the front mount.
If you do front mount and e-manage you wont get major gains as you need the boost from the Profec B, if you do Profec B and front mount it'll have flat spots and over fuel without e-manage.
If funds are very limited the best single mod to give power will be the Profec b by itself.
One thing tho you dont really need the gauge and pod as the Profec gives a boost reading.

Dont worry about the Z32 as its not needed until you do the turbo and injectors.

The next thing i would purchase is some uprated brakes and suspension bits so you can use your extra power better.

bruce.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
i got one for my last skyline for £250 off the sxoc, there always on ebay.

The most popular ecu is the power fc but there so rare the e-manage is prob the next best thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
:iagree: since they stopped making the PowerFC, I think the Emanage is where people will be going now. The cost of the PowerFC is ridiculous IMO, despite it being an excellent addition..

Patience is paramount, keep a daily check on here for parts and maybe update your signature to show what your looking for? I get a few PM's this way.... :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
cant you just use a manual boost controller ,and the emanage?

i have so far=

turbow elbow
down pipe
de cat
cat back
fmic
air filter

does it make any difference what air filter you use?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Les really you need to do the Greddy profec B, E-manage and the front mount.
If you do front mount and e-manage you wont get major gains as you need the boost from the Profec B, if you do Profec B and front mount it'll have flat spots and over fuel without e-manage.
If funds are very limited the best single mod to give power will be the Profec b by itself.
One thing tho you dont really need the gauge and pod as the Profec gives a boost reading.

Dont worry about the Z32 as its not needed until you do the turbo and injectors.

The next thing i would purchase is some uprated brakes and suspension bits so you can use your extra power better.

bruce.
Cheers Bruce,

Thats exactly what i consider, if i do one thing what will it effect and cause the car to run worse. Which obviously is not what i want.

I seem to be leaning towards the profec B as it seems it's needed later on in my plans. Only reason i was after an additional gauge is that i wasn't to sure if the greddys was accurate enough. Don't want to blow the turbo up overboosting!

As for the e-manage there good value (e-bay) just the fitting and mapping that costs so i want other bits in place before i get there. I saw a second hand one from an RX 7 go for about £150 i think it was-can't remember.

In a nutshell it seems to be all about the FUELING when fitting bigger better parts:rofl: doesn't it. Hence by doing the e-mange it will optimse what i have fitted at the minute.

As for the other parts, up front i have EBC dimpled & grooved discs + Redstuff pads. Going to put the same discs on the rear but with greenstuff pads around winter time + fresh reds on the front if needed.

Suspension wise we'll see what the MOT says, if anything comes back it's getting polybushed all the way through...........anyone know a garage who can do this reasonably??

cheers Les

1 - 16 of 16 Posts