Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My series 1 R33 GTS-T starts popping from the exhaust at 5,500+ rpm and it splutters. The coilpacks have just been serviced correctly. Help!

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
There is no way to service them. Wraping in tape may make a small difference but it is not a fix.

As said above also mke sure the plugs are in good condition and the correct type.

Richard

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plugs were changed recently to NGK Iridiums gapped to 1.1mm. The engine isn't modded to my knowledge - though I can't read Japanese! The coilpacks were cleaned alot and the springs sit correctly.

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
All plugs we fit are gapped to .8mm out of the box. I would try regapping them which could help but to be honest if its standard a 1.1mm gap (standard) would be fine unless the coils are not producing a strong enough spark.

Richard

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust \ air filter ? or is everything standard

I fitted NGK Iridiums (heat range 7) to my stock GTST with standard gap and it ran fine

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm not sure about the exhaust because it only has the JASMA stamp on it. I have four spare coilpacks but all of them were in a state before cleaning! I will swap them one by one and change the plug gap to 0.8mm to try to solve the problem. I won't be able to buy a new set until after Xmas and I doubt I'll stretch to splitfires.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Im running 416Atw no problems- sparks are heat range 8 NGK's gapped to .8 standard!

p.s. Im running splitfire coils though!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is ur car mapped to our inferior fuel yet?? Thats what was causing my detenation at the same rev count!
No, it hasn't been mapped, I always run it on Tesco 99 or Optimax. I'm going to reset the ecu this weekend. Maybe I will check the ecu for fault codes first. Would this be recommended? Is it possible to plug in a Snap-on diagosics?

Could the airflow meter be the cause of my problem?

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
sounds like overfuelling to me if your plugs and coilpacks are ok?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts