Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've had one of these, this is for the liner (R33) GTS

Apparently there is "movement in steering column"

..and both rear wheel steering ball joints have slight play and both front tie bar / rod rubber bushes are deriorated but no excessive wmovement at the mo..

Anyone have an idea what component(s) I should be looking for re the steering column ready for the next MOT?

Aitch

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
I would be a bit concerned about the movement in the steering column,which way did they say?
up and down/side to side column movement.....if so,could just be a loose bolt under the dash,or even the height adjustment mechanism is not fully locked,or worn.
Play when rocking the wheel side to side could also be a loose bolt,worn splines where the column enters the steering rack,a worn steering rack,or worn track rod ends,but I guess the tester would have seen play in the rack/ends.
As for the other bits,pretty standard items,readily availiable.

Cracking Avatar,BTW..!!! :D

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
Road Runner said:
I would be a bit concerned about the movement in the steering column,which way did they say?
up and down/side to side column movement.....if so,could just be a loose bolt under the dash,or even the height adjustment mechanism is not fully locked,or worn.
Play when rocking the wheel side to side could also be a loose bolt,worn splines where the column enters the steering rack,a worn steering rack,or worn track rod ends,but I guess the tester would have seen play in the rack/ends.
As for the other bits,pretty standard items,readily availiable.

Cracking Avatar,BTW..!!! :D
there are often plastic bushes in the column that can be replaced i would keep my eyes open for a complete replacement, plenty of breakers around.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers all, I was hoping someone would say "I had that and it's the whatsit!"

So I'll to do some work now to identify the culprit part(s).

The play is up and down, very slight but there, could be adjuster orientated..will get in there one fine day..

Aitch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts