Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys here goes, my skyline has failed its mot ,the only worrying thing for me is the emissions . if i clean the air control valve thing (the bit that contains the idle screw) as mentioned in other posts ,do you think it will make a difference? the guy at the garage thought it was a possibility?? and i have had the idle /nearly stalling problems mentioned , but will it make a difference to the emissions?
thanks-rich

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
What years the car?

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
what exactly did it fail on? co2,lambda or hydrocarbons and what were the readings?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looking at the print off(test was based on skyline model code r33: all versions?) it failed on all 3,heres the result:
fast idle test:
co 8.96%vol
hc 244ppm
lambda 0.76
2nd fast idle test:
co 8.98%
hc 718ppm
lamda 0.74
natural idle test:
co 9.35%
i dont really know what to replace if anything? cat maybe or lambda sensor thingy? i was hoping to get the emissions down by cleaning the air control valve with carb cleaner, but seeing as im not really technically minded , im not sure if it would make any difference.:confused: it passed last year but at a different mot station.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
8.9% & 9.5% CO????? that cant be right? if it is its going to take more than giving something a clean im guessing!

I get under 0.5% WITHOUT a cat on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i thought that,i just found some relevant posts on the emissions subject and im confidant-ish that i need a new lambda sensor. must be a nice hole in the ozone from my place to work!:eek:

·
Seasoned Member
7,044 Posts
this might seem like a silly question is the exhaust solid
only ask as mine recently faild emitions but had a hole in backbox put new exhaust on with no middle box and past easily.
also is the cat intackt and not had internals removed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
afaik the cat is intact,as for the exhaust i have a stainless one going on next tuesday although it didnt fail on the exhaust. shes off the road for now tho:disappointed:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts