Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the moment i have zero money, no regular income and the cars stored away and rarely comes out.. :(
So this weekend with passengers adding to the fuel bill and wanting me to take the 515hp beast out i did down to south Devon for my Brothers girlfriends 30th about 30 people etc

Car never skipped a beat every thing okay unitll the drive back get near Weston super mare on the M5 and heard all this sh!t flicking up into the passenger side rear arch then this horrendous burning smell and smoke out the back! turn into the services so lucky on the timing really 30 seconds later would of missed the turning and been on the hard shoulder..
So my tyre was completely shredded on the indside!
looks like i picked up a nail somehow then with the extreme heat just tore apart! bridgestone potenza 275/35/19's they are so not budgets either!
anyway didn't have my car jack so lucky this didn't happen on the hard shoulder asked a random to borrow theirs put the space saver on and traveled at 50mph from weston home to bristol...

oh the joys of motoring - on the hunt for 2 decent rears now...
sorry about picture quality these are from my shitty Blackberry

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
That sucks! main thing is that it wasn't a blow out.
Really sorry to hear about your finacial situation mate, hope things improve for you:)

·
Kyusha_Riot
2,475 Posts
Oooh that looks nasty my mate cant have people in the back of his celica for this reason it rips his rear tyres up, as above though good it wasnt a blow out an hope your finances get better mate :)

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
i had something like this happen to me 3 weeks ago, was on my way home from tescos after getting a jar of peanut butter. car started juddering and knocking on the back passengers side, as i noticed it i started turning the stereo down and looked in the passengers mirror and saws sparks everywhere. turns out i had a 6 and 7 mm open ended spanner go into my tyre along the a30. ill put a pic of it up later, you wont believe it when you see it.
i was just glad it was in my saab and not the skyline. ive got loads of 17 inch rear tyres for the skyline, id have helped you out with a set if you were on the same size mate.
glad your all ok though and no real damage was done :cheers:

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mental i know I'm hoping that the wheels okay i mean as soon as it happened i got to pull in i hardly drove on it like that.. i'll go up and take a proper look

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
you should be ok mate, the spanner that went into mine was stood on its end out the top of the tyre down through the sidewall and was resting on the rim so everytime the wheel rotated the spanner took all the weight of the car and was lifting it up and my wheel was ok so you should be alright mate. fingers crossed

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah yeh thanks mate i hope you're right thats cheered me up actually thanks :bigthumb:

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
here you go this is what happend to mine and my wheel was ok and i had to drive on it for about a mile because there wasnt anywhere to stop and change it safely so you should be ok mate :)

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:eek: oh my days thats crazy!
nice for posting that up mate its made me think mine should defo be okay etc :cheers:

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear this mate, but as others have said, thank God it wasn't more serious, it could have been really nasty.
indeed!
this was the conversation we had from Weston from to Bristol at 50mph saying IF it had happened when we were given it some minor beans :D

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
That Bridgestone tyre is a run flat type so it's wierd how it's like that

·
Out of monies
1,983 Posts
What car was it on? Is the car the run flat tyre was fitted to, fitted with a tyre pressure warning system?

Runflats should ONLY be fitted if the car can warn you of a rapid pressure loss.
That tyre could have been flat (but not visibly due to increased sidewall strength) for a long time until it shredded itself.

·
Out of monies
1,983 Posts
That Bridgestone tyre is a run flat type so it's wierd how it's like that
Working for BMW, I see it all the time!

That's what happens if its been driven on fully deflated faster and longer than its designed to when fully deflated.

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shiiiiit! basically thats obviously whats happened then I've probably had that screw in there a lot longer than i knew.. (as i hardly drive the car etc) and the blast there and back on the motorway has warmed and ripped it up!
not getting run flats again i don't think, would rather know its actually flat when its flat

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Working for BMW, I see it all the time!

That's what happens if its been driven on fully deflated faster and longer than its designed to when fully deflated.
me to mate i work in a main dealer as well but i usualy see them when all the inside is destroyed not really on one bit if you understand what i mean?
It was on the Skyline? Runflats are a bad idea on cars without tyre pressure monitoring systems. I really hope no one recommended them to be fitted.
as above plus there really crap tyres and i personaly will never have a set on any car if i can help it.

they give a very hard noisy ride

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
potenzas reo5 run flats are quality tyres,ran them on gtst for 5 years and gtr for a year,and they arnt cheap,and you dont know what would have happened with "normal" tyre might have blown out on you.

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
potenzas reo5 run flats are quality tyres,ran them on gtst for 5 years and gtr for a year,and they arnt cheap,and you dont know what would have happened with "normal" tyre might have blown out on you.
yours arent run flats mate as i would have noticed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts