Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone might have ideas of what to check.

The problem.
whilst idling the car will be fine for say 1 minute then the revs drop to 100rpm and quickly pickup back to normal idle, also i've noticed when this happens the injector duty on the avc-r will rise sharply for a split second.
Also when driving at a constant speed the car dies for a split second then returns to normal for a few miles and repeats the process.

What i've checked so far.
vacum pressure
removed open atmos bov
running at different boost pressures
new fuel pump
new fuel filter
aac valve
throttle postion sensor
new ignition amplifier
new plugs
all earths have been cleaned
new battery
ecu diagnostic code 55 alls fine

My main concern at the moment
The air flow meter...i took it off to check it and the metal gause on the turbo side had somehow torn loose alittle so rather than risk it coming off whilst i'm driving and going into the turbo i removed it, so i've still got the gause on the air filter side but not the turbo side......my thinking is that i'm getting air flowing/moving the wrong way through the afm causing overfueling and the above problems.

Can anyone confirm this is my problem or has anyone any other ideas....Its a nightmare..:( :(

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not checked the coil packs or wiring from the ignition amplifier to each coil pack yet...thanks rotor, i'll put that on this weekends to do list..:)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
had same problem....

ran an ECU diagnostic which said AFM. Low and behold, it was. Fitted a replacement and sorted it. IF it starts to stall in a week or so and sometimes cuts out when changing gear, AFM is my bet.

However, that appears to be my solution for most things these days!

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even though my diagnostic gave code 55 all fine, i'm with you on this one and henching my bets on the air flow meter.

Where did you buy yours and if you don't mind me asking how much was it?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Tim

at SVS did an absolutely fantastic job of finding me a used one which was fully serviceable. No point telling you how much as it was one of. However, new they run to about £300 plus vat I believe from nissan.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've seen a few secondhand for sub £100 but i'm a bit reluctant to buy one perely for testing as i've got a z32 afm, bigger injectors and a mapped eprom on its way to me...but really i wanted to suss the problem before i fitted them.....ohhh what to do.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
as rotoholic says mate i am no expert, just puting down what i have heard, when you changed the plugs i am asuming the AFM had to come off, have you checked the conector pin have been pushed right home..... i have read a couple of threads where this has been a problem.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep tried that as well, thanks anyway bud..:D

Anyone else got any ideas or think that what i said above regarding the afm could be the problem?

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was the afm, even though the ecu diagnostic gave code 55..bizzare.

I borrowed jock alerts broken afm and fixed it (broken solder on connector/resoldered it) fitted it and she ran like new again...:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts