Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i would have done this as a work in progress, but i decided the best time to take the car off the road for project work was whilst moving house :alco: so i couldnt upload any pics and access to the net was rather tricky too.

So now im back from RSP with the dyno results, you can tell it turned out ok in the end!

Chapter 1
First job was to acquire another plenum for messing up, got one with the crossover pipe too which was a bonus, from the parts bit on here, they turn up occasionally.

Then it sat in a box for about 9 months till i got my ass of the chair and did something about it:whip: still running the smic i had to sort this too before i could see how the pipe work would need to be altered and where it would all lie. Looking at others that have done this mod some FMIC kits route the pipes differently to others so when the Japspeed GTR cooler :)cheers:) was all in place my plans changed.

Chapter 2 'Intercooled'
money was spent :nono: lol. Very pleased with the Japspeed FMIC! Ordered and there next day topstuff. Got my ass in gear straight off this time!! What can i say i had big shiny stuff and was inspired to get into action :drivin:
From this

To this!! :D

Now with the kit all in place and the air leaks sealed up :doh: and all working i was confident to chop the plenum up!

Chapter 3 'Grinding'
The original plan was to have a small length of 70mm pipe between the plenum and throttle body, as putting the flange :eek: straight on would mean losing the oil breather pipe on the plenum. But when the new cooler was in place i could see that doing this would mean making a very tight bend near the rad. It seemed to make more sense to bin the oil breather, put a smooth bend in and put the throttle body flange:eek: straight on the plenum.

So Mr A. Grinder met Mrs Plenum and sparks flew immediately!! :boxing: Chopped of the throttle body flange and cleaned up all the edges so a new plate could be welded over the top. Then placed the throttle plate over the front of the plenum to see where it would best line up. Marked it all out and using a 65mm hole cutter drilled a hole in the front of the plenum. DIY is fun!!!

From looking at other plenum mods i decided to put the throttle body back on upside down, as this would allow the throttle cable to reach without further mods! Another reason for not adding the bit of 70mm pipe.

Chapter 4 'Off to the welders'
I cant weld, but i know a man who can. Tig welding is the prefered way of welding alley cos you have more control over the weld iirc. But the local boys do mig, and were happy to give it a go. This also allows you to build up the weld more where required, messy but it will grind back later. They were very helpfull and considering how busy they were with big contract work were good enough to sort it in a few days! :wave:
Mr A Grinder and i have some work to do

Chapter 5 'Grrrrrr :D '
As you can see its not pretty, so armed with sand paper i got to it.....:swear: :boxing: :uzi: :apoke: maybe i need somehting more manly. This bit was very boring, i dont have a dremmel or any other type of usefull tools so had to make do with the sanding job on the grinder, great for the flat bits, but no good in all the fiddley bits, and plenums have lots of them! So after 6hrs with grinder and a half round file, i put the rough polishing mop over it.

Looks great from over here but if you look closer, more pits than Myrthyr.

Im wasting my time, some castings will come up like a bottle, this wont. The more a rub back the more pits i uncover, its just air bubbles in the casting and nothing i can do about it. So i'll go for the brushed alley look and laquer it to keep the salty coast air off it. Still it looks pretty good considering i only went to 800 grit and used aerosol spray in the worlds dustiest garage. Heated it up with a paint stripper gun first so the paint would dry quicker. Put 6-7 coats on (i forget now) in 15 mins each one nearly dry before the next. Im quite pleased with my first attempt at spraying, not a blemmish, shame about the pits though....

Chapter 7 'Fun'
Now with the new plenum ready to go, i could get the old one off:swear: :boxing: , and start chopping up my new intercooler pipework:crazy: The 90' bend that used to join into the original crossover pipe was selected as the candidate. Putting the throttle body in place i could now see where to cut, and get an idea where the dumpvalve would go, im using the stock one cos im a cheap ass lol. The dumpvalve flange:eek: was chopped off the stock crossover pipe and shaped to fit the new pipe. So happy with the position of the new bits i looked at the other side.

The stock feed to the intercooler is rather poo, small diam and lots of 90' bends, plus now with the new positions i needed a T for the boost control. Bodger into action! The new cooler replaces one of the stock pipes both having this T. So the oe was shortend and chopped so no 90's were in it, and marked up for rejoining......:swear: dumbass here marked it wrong, and now both ends are too short and dont meet. Its getting dark and the cars parked 150 feet away from my dads garage and grrrrrr. More chopping marking chopping and a 3rd piece is installed to fill the hole, lets hope it works.

Back off to the welders, the markings are explained and i hope it all fits ok cos you cant tell sometimes, when its all solid it might be different to what you first thought.

:bounce:

Chapter 8 'Start it'
Now that bits all done i can look at the ancillaries. The boost hoses needed moving around, i have no oil breather into the plenum, the throttle cable needs someone(thing) to hold it in the right place, and the funny pipe that was T'd in the the crossover elbow needs somewhere to go. Some were easy.

The boost hoses were all marked before i took anything off, so they were extended simple enough, i have a new one now for the boost control, and the one i lost on the front of the plenum for the fuel pressure reg during welding i used the dumpvalves pressure T at the back of the plenum to feed all of the usual ones, just T'd off. Its all the same iirc. I'll try and get more pics soon, to show all this lot.
The oil breather issue was sorted with one of Apex's breather tank kits, adding a bit of bling to my minging engine bay!! The water feed that used to go through the throttle body was joined with some 8mm pipe, so that was easy, i dont think there's any detriment at the mo not having the throttle body water heated. Cant see the point except in ciberian winter.

To mount the throttle cable i just knocked up a bracket to hold the oe one somewhere near the right place for the linkage to work, and hey presto its does what it says on the tin. It just bolts on with one of the ones for the plenum top half. I'll show this a bit later :sorry: Then the pipe that feeds the AAC valve that used to be in the crossover pipe was put in the oe dumpvalve resirc pipe. Theory's simple, AAC draws air after the AFM at atmos pressure only at idle, the dumpvalve is VTA now so the recirc pipe needs to be blocked, instead i filled it wi the AAC pipe. Job done. BTW i learned this from Andyuk42 :wave:

*I think thats everything* Lets start her up......bwaaahhhh pop pop buh pop :swear: Now what?!?! Long story short, i had a huge air leak, meaning she would run massively rich and would not rev past 2.5k! The problem, i didnt leave any pipes loose this time, it was the dumpvalve! I didnt know this at the time, but the oe dumpvave is designed to recirculate :crazy: so wont stay shut at idle, loosing lots of air to atmos and causing it to run very rich. 2 solutions:- 1/ Buy a new VTA one £££ 2/Bodge it

hmmmmmm

Down to motorworld, one length of 22mm hydralic hose and jubilee clips, and one 22mm T piece. Sorted. Now it recircs and draws air at idle both from the same place and the ecu is happy.

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chapter 9 'Rising Sun'
With the help i'd been given over the phone due to the air leak issues, and the 'bloody nice bloke' impression i'd got (dunno why tho:alco: ) i booked in at RSP to have the SAFC and Greddy profec setup and see what gains the mods have got me.

After 245 miles :drivin: and going round in bloody circles, i found the place no thanks to the satnav:swear: bloody rubbish couldnt find my arse if i sat on the damn thing!!!! I found RSP. 98 miles east of where the satnav thought it was :wtf: thats right i put in the post code and it said west of portsmouth!!:booty:

Met the gang and went through the bits id done, didnt like the sight of my recirc pipes tho i bet lol. Saw bigchiefs monster, im not intimidated by it and nor was my motor, honest:grinno: on to the rollers!!!:bounce:

Some slight issues with the boost, it holds 0.4 bar till 4.5k then starts creeping up. I was told. Thats on standard acruator boost. With the boost control on set to 0.8bar its all over the place til 4.5k then goes off to the sky! Not good. I've been told how to sort it, simple but annoying, so i'll do that when i have the exhaust mani off to sort the broken stud if found the other day. Then i'll be bcak for more BOOST!!

Chapter 10 'Results so far'
Well with the boost issue i can only run low boost 0.4 bar, but 0.6 higher up, just like standard, but im not running 2 stage boost. Wierd. 311bhp @6300 rpm and 277 lb/ft tourque at around 5000rpm. Pretty good for such low boost and only using the old mkI SAFC.

Print outs to follow.
Well i hope this thread is usefull, if not intersting read for peeps, and im a happy boy with my extra power, its 31bhp more than my dads Porsche so im pleased as punch:D it runs great now but there's always room for improvment. Big thanks again to RSP and Andy42uk for the help and advise and the boys at PGS welders for the help!!

:drivin:

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
WOOHOO
i can do that!!!
thanks for making it look so easy with pictures for numpteys who can't be bothered to read it all properly

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Dammit. I can see me wrecking a completely good plenum in the near future :(

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
WOOHOO
i can do that!!!
thanks for making it look so easy with pictures for numpteys who can't be bothered to read it all properly
Indeed. I see sales of angle grinders, discs and second hand plenums going up considerably this weekend as everyone else has a go :)

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it really is a doddle. hey if i can do it so can the PG tips monkey hehehe.

it does pull well at the moment but running such low boost, only 0.4 bar low down its hard to say what improvment there is, but further up, its like in cartoons when the car accelerates the guy progressivly gets pushed further and further back into the seat. cant wait for more boost!!

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Results!!
Fresh from RSP

And some more pics of the finished job, looks pretty good if i do say so myself. Problem is tho, now im gonna feel the need to clean the rest of the engine bay like the new bits!! well best get :whip:

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why thankyou very much, better than my uaual spam! lol.

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
good job m8 !
everybody on here is going to cut up their plenum now LOL
shame the polishing didn't work out but you'll forget about that when you're running higher boost again :)

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool! thanks for the comments guys if it helps someone out or even if its just a good read then im happy with that!

tbh im not that bothered now about the polishing, it looks ok, yes the mega bling would be more impressive, but living on the coast the salty air would make it really hard to maintain the great shine. at least this way its wipe clean :)

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
whats up with the boost the and how do you fix it please as i will be fitting my greddy profec spec 2 soon as well, nice job on the intake by the way :)

·
Registered
5,311 Posts

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
whats up with the boost the and how do you fix it please as i will be fitting my greddy profec spec 2 soon as well, nice job on the intake by the way :)

not sure, but the boost control im using is 2nd hand so it may not be 100% But i also found out that some of the exhaust manifold studs are broken so i better get them done before i wind it up incase it makes the problem worse before i have time to look at it.
you should be fine with the newer profec II its easy to plumb in, i left the old solenoid plugged in (electrical connections), im not sure if the ecu will get upset i took it out.

The oil breather is impoertant, when the oil gets hot it releases vapours, also when the engine is being given a good spanking the movement of the crank, pistons etc create pressure inside the crank case. This presure and the vapours need somewhere to go. Stock engines feed this lot in to the intake system where it can be burnt off, but usually ends up as a lovel sludge clogging up valves, plugs, the intercooler, not good.

So by welding up the breather on the plenum i had to get an oil catch tank kit which catches the oil vapours and filters the air back to atmosphere. (i dont have a filter on there just yet) but this can be done at any time, and a nice addition to keep a new FMIC clean inside and efficient.

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Bump for a very cool thread, :smoker::boogy: and saves me having to keep looking for it :slap::sorry: :rofl:
cheers
Matt

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheers! its worth a bump cos its so great :dogpile: plus it gets my name to the top again :D

1 - 20 of 104 Posts