Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I still don't have my car yet, I wanted to start this thread to document my buying experience. In my other thread (Almost had a 90 NISMO GTR) I posted the auction house photos of my recent purchase. Here I'll post the newest ones I have recieved of the car as it sits at the port getting ready for shipment. It was rainy that day.
So far the only issue I've been made aware of is a misfire on one of the cylinders. My exporter is pretty certain it is a coil pack and an easy fix. Is this common on these cars? Could I be looking at bigger more expensive issues?
Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I haven't had any engine issues with my car fortunately so I can't speak from experience but from what I've read misfires are not uncommon with RBs and the coils going bad from cracked boots is one of the most common causes. But it could also be due to the coil harness going bad from age and the heat soak from being in that valley between the cam covers (which is why some guys run without the coil cover and they sell uprated coil harnesses) or just bad plugs.

Pulling off the coil cover (that middle plate with Nissan Twin Cam on it) and checking the harness, coils, and plugs is easy enough to do so most likely it won't be a hard fix.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I'd be concerned on any misfire. i'd ask the exporter to fix it before it leaves to ensure it is just as they have said. if you were the seller wanting maximum selling price putting your car into an auction would you let it go through with a misfire if it was just a coilpack?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd be concerned on any misfire. i'd ask the exporter to fix it before it leaves to ensure it is just as they have said. if you were the seller wanting maximum selling price putting your car into an auction would you let it go through with a misfire if it was just a coilpack?
Dave has a great point. If it's just a coil pack or plug that's an easy fix and the seller should be willing to oblige but if it's a bigger issue then you'd want to know before you have the car shipped out to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks good. Congrats. Derek seems like a cool, honest dude and I had expected to get my car through him. His videos are great for customers.

I, personally, probably wouldn't be too concerned over a misfire. Every car I've ever owned has had some kind of small misfire. It can be annoying at idle but may not really affect performance. At least on the RB26, it seems like a common issue and there are some simple remedies you can try first with the coils or harness. Plus, I'd expect to do maintenance work on any car I bought, foreign or domestic. You're often buying someone elses problems, and sellers aren't always forthcoming about every issue on a car.

What about my mirror dave.. :grinno: :naughty:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm not expecting too big of a deal with this misfire. Derek is going to see if a coil replacement will remedy it before it's shipped. I'll go through it in detail when it gets here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When is it supposed to be shipped off? Just an FYI, 91 isn't eligible until January 1, 2016. Make sure the date of manufacture/date of first registration is 25 years from the month, otherwise they'll crush/export it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When is it supposed to be shipped off? Just an FYI, 91 isn't eligible until January 1, 2016. Make sure the date of manufacture/date of first registration is 25 years from the month, otherwise they'll crush/export it.
In his previous thread the OP mentioned he's currently in Korea so he doesn't have to worry about the 25-year import restriction...yet lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm having shipped here to Korea so I can enjoy it while I'm here until next year. By then, I'll have set up shipping and it will be 25 years old so no issues. THX :cheers:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At Unipros customs broker picking up the car now. Probably about a 2 hour wait to get it through Korean customs.
I'll post up some pics once I have it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only bothered to take one once we stopped to eat on the way back home because the car is filthy.
More to come. With an update on the misfire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, those pics look incredible! I'm glad you found that it was a simple fix and nothing major. Oh, and thank you for serving our country!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Import is actually down to the year and month of manufacture, not the model year of the car. So 95's may have been manufactured in late 94, etc.

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
378 Posts
Import is actually down to the year and month of manufacture, not the model year of the car. So 95's may have been manufactured in late 94, etc.
66gt40lm is correct in advising that date of manufacture/date of first registration is 25 years from the month. Japan Export certificates do not state the date of manufacture but instead the date of first registration. Here's an example: my Evo Wagon Export Certificate
So for example a vehicle manufactured in 1991, and a '91 model may not have a first registration date until 1992. This has caught some people with their vehicle stuck in customs, ineligible for import. This is because NHTSA states "If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago." Most labels on vehicles from that age in Japan are labeled in the Japanese Heisei year system, so my old 1990 Skyline (manufactured late 1989) was labeled with a year H2 and the first registration date on the certificate was the only useable date for customs. It was first reg'd in October 1990 and when imported to the UK it received that registration.

TaraFirma: Car looks great! I'd be worried having that out in Korea, the drivers there scarred my beater up pretty good. Hope it goes smooth getting it imported.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts