Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been meaning to do this for a very long time.

Six and a half years ago I bought my first Skyline, a white '93 R33 gtst auto.
Original spec was :

GTR body kit
HKS induction kit
4" cat back exhaust
Keiichi Tsuchiya JDM wheels (17"x8" front) (17"x9" rear)
Lowered suspension

Every thing else was standard.

As I am always on a tight budget, mods are few and far between. First up was to install my Blaupunkt head unit, followed by a Blitz turbo timer, whilst I began to enjoy the Skyline experience.

All was going well until one early morning, whilst on my way to work, a rabbit jumped out of the hedge and nicked one of my indicators, damaging my bumper in the process. Gary at Japsalon had a 400r bumper in stock which I sprayed and fitted. I also replaced my one remaining indicator with two clear indicators.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In search of more power, and to unleash that sweet Skyline soundtrack, a decat pipe and HKS downpipe were fitted and the bung was removed from the tailpipe. The increased volume, as nice as it is, left my standard speakers lacking, and these were replaced by 240w JVC's, which slotted straight in without too much hassle.

Then came the time for my next MOT, but I was told that they couldn’t even get it into the workshop, let alone onto the ramp, as she was too low. They recommended another garage for me, and, once again, she flew the MOT.
By now, the fact that she was so low was becoming a nuisance so, I decided to repair the GTR bumper and swapped them back.
Then to finish off the exhaust system, I fitted a dual chamber turbo elbow.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
MOT time again, and the first advisory. N/s rear shock was beginning to leak. A well timed deal resulted in a set of K-Sport coilovers. These were fitted and set to a similar ride height as before. Although the ride is quite hard, I don’t mind it. I thought this was also a good time to fit an FMIC as Japspeed had a deal going.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time to get rid of the big ugly gear knob, however, as it is an auto, there is not much to choose from. Finally found this Resistanz auto shift knob. It does not have an o/d switch on it, so that had to be relocated. I replaced the gearstick surround with a manual one, fitted a leather gaiter, and also replaced the worn handbrake gaiter as well.

After driving around in a VW Polo for a few days at work, I really liked the dash at night, and decided that mine needed a change. Out came the dash and I fitted some indiglo dials along with some blue gel for the clock and a/c display.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In an attempt to add some more bass, I fitted an old amp and 100w amplified bass tube that I have had sitting around for years. I also changed the dull looking grey carpet.

Bass tube removed temporarily

This worked quite well but I wanted to stick with Blaupunkt as I have been impressed with the sound quality from the other components, so I fitted a 10” sub and 700w amp to replace the antique amp and bass tube. I am really happy with the power and quality this set up now produces.

Now I just need to tidy up the wiring and give it a good clean.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In search of more power again, but after searching the forum I found that I was limited in my choices regarding ecu upgrades. After speaking to RSP, I decided that their “stage 1” ecu was the way to go, with the current mods I had. I sent off my ecu and within 36 hours it was back and fitted. The flat spot was also removed and I was enjoying the Skyline bug even more, it’s addictive.

I then set about improving the brakes, and thanks to Chris at Conceptua Tuning, I got these.

I also walked away with a lighter wallet, and these.

Whilst changing the front discs, I also took the opportunity to paint my callipers, but not red as I had seen before.
I decided to go blue, with the rears to match, and Red Stuff pads all round.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Engine bay clean up.

Before fitting the EFL stainless panels, I thought I would change a few other bits and pieces. Valve covers were removed, cleaned and sprayed Bayside blue, and a little bit of polishing as well.

Before:

After:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts