Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bought a Skyline R33 GTS-T in white last week, and while it's a bit rough around the edges, it's a good excuse for a restoration project!

Here are a couple of shots of the car before taking her off to have the wheels refurbished (in gloss white with blue RAYS wheel nuts).

As sort of a side project, I thought I'd model my progress in 3D (being an Illustrator by trade), and here are the first few renders showing how the wheels will (hopefully) look when I get ther car back.

Rays wheel nuts:

Wheel Work In Progress face-on:

Wheel Work In Progress close-up:

I'll update with images of both projects when I do new stuff.

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chap! :)

Here's a new render - started adding the brake assembly. Caliper next...

More soon...

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Well those graphics are mindblowing!

Nice project, I look forward to seeing it unveil ;)

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
thats going to a very very cool .....and the graphics are ace ....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chaps! :)

The side skirts are Jun I believe... Could be wrong though - I'm new to all this Skyline stuff!

·
Registered
231 Posts
looking good mate, rear end looks like a better-executed version of mine lol (my fault not JDLs ;) )

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the GTR badge has already gone from the front. When the car comes back on Friday, the back one will be coming off too. So will all the stickers too. It just ain't a Nismo S-Tune, or a GT-R. What was the previous owner thinking?!?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the basic shape of the caliper in now too. Will add the details later.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
How long does it take to draw an image like that then my patiants would have kicked the computer in the nuts after about 10 mins lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks chaps. :)

The whole thing was modelled, textured and rendered in Modo 203. A teensie bit of photoshop was used to add a bit of glow and noise in the final shots you see here.

So far it has taken about 3-4 hours (not including render time). It's going a LOT quicker than the last time I tried to model a car (my last car, a Honda Integra Type R), and that never got finished because I sold it. This is how far it got anyway, just to show you how I want this new one to progress...

The 'Teg was also modelled and rendered in Modo. I use Lightwave as well, but it's just not as flexible. I'm starting to use Maya, but it's a nightmare for the beginner...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks mate! :)

Another quick update.

Added the tyre (cribbed from my old Integra project!) and started adding some rough mechanicals behind the wheel (shock absorber, lower arm, steering upright). I'm not going to add too many details to these as they will not be visible most of the time.

Anyway, here's a new pic:

And here's the lower arm assembly at the moment:

I'm not intending for this part to be at all accurate, just to give the impression of something going on behind the wheel. I started modelling the lower part of the shock first, and added the welds, but I now feel that this is overkill, so may remove them.

More soon!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the car back from the wheel refurbisher on Friday night. They did a stunning job on them, and they look brand new again! :)

Here's some pics...

The car has gone off to Rising Sun for a week now, to have some work done, and also to check the fueling / ECU mapping etc. Looking forward to getting her back next Saturday! :)

·
bla
17,374 Posts
shes a beaut mate..... What a difference the wheels make.......

:D i know its a borlake not having your car but when you get it back im sure youll make up for it, lol......

1 - 20 of 45 Posts