Skyline Owners Forum banner

241 - 260 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Slow progress as of late. My own fault really, I seem to be sending more time staring at it wondering where to start rather than doing things lol

Got the new oil cooler sitted, just need to fix the core to the cross member. I had a 19row previously but oil temps never went above 85 degrees and I'd prefer them to be a bit higher and around 90 so ive gone for a 10row this time to see what happens.

Also started plumbing in the coolant catch can and routing hose for it

Attachments

·
Seasoned Member
9,057 Posts
I had a 19row previously but oil temps never went above 85 degrees and I'd prefer them to be a bit higher and around 90 so ive gone for a 10row this time to see what happens.
If your oil never went over 85, you were not driving it hard enough :D

I had 19 row thermostatic and in colder weather I would just block off half the fins of the cooler from air flow. But in hot weather let that puppy breath lol

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Ahh yes, the old cardboard trick lol had the 19row one blocked off with a "super rare old logo nismo, cardboard box" with "super rare old logo nismo cable ties" easily added extra 100bhp and a good 1000 scene points :funny::funny:

Found I had it covered over all year round, even on the dyno temps wernt getting over 90 with 75% of the oil cooler covered over, still have the 19 row so if this 10row is proving too small I'll just whip out the "nismo oil cooler warmer cover kit" and throw the 19row back on again lol

Should have gearbox back next Sunday, a mates doing the work on it for me for a few pints so can't complain about how long he's had it too much and there's been plenty to be getting on with in the meantime anyway.

Have intercooler plumbed up again, fuel lines all finished off and vaccum hoses all tidied up etc.

Basically just gearbox to refit, propshaft to throw in, fill up with fluids and bleed radiator and that will be the mechanics of it finished.

After that need glass refitted, finish subframe for passengers seat and finally drive it out the door for the first time in over 2 years lol

We're getting there, slowly but surely

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Still plodding along, got the catch can plumbing finished off and got the front arb installed and the radiator set in.

Next big job is fitting the gearbox and what not then spanner check on all the bolts and clips, throw a battery into it, make sure no smoke is appearing from my wiring lol and then crank her over

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Serious lack of updates on my part but things have been plodding along nicely

First up was getting a new bonnet stay clip as the old one had broken. I also got my hands on a nissan q45 throttle body gasket, much neater option than the home made one I knocked up before.

Then it was time for some body work again.

I got the carbon intercooler surround and carbon indicator holders/air ducts fitted to the front bumper, threw on the passenger side skirt and painted my carbon gt badges green to match the brakes etc :drivin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Next up was to set about making new arch liners to suit the wider front wings.

Used some state of the art cad (cardboard aided design, fans of project binky will get that one lol) and make up some templates to see what size of a sheet of plastic I'll need.

I then set about making some aluminium braces to stabilise the front bumper and also give me somewhere to bolt the front of the arch liner to.

I've the lower bracket made that bolts to the bumper and then to the chassis with a fold it in for strength and will also give me an area to bolt arch liner to

Also got a new battery to test my electrics..... Scary times lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Success!!!!

Electrics are working, fuel pumps priming, all lights working, even managed to wire up the spoiler brake light

Happy days

That's the boot area finished now, wiring done and all bits and pieces bolted down and fixed to the false floor I made. Only thing left in there is wire up the washer bottle motor and mount the bottle

We're getting there now!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Bit of radio silence right enough, the month sabbatical was me. Trying to get the bloody gearbox refitted lol!!! But seriously, what a pig of a job.

Had the engine tilted every which way possible but still the box q would not go on...... Then it came to me..... Nissan designed this box to fit with a standard clutch, not a bloody triple plate!!!!!! Sooooooo a bit of head scratching later I decided to lower the front subframe for a bit more clearance at the bulk head and the dam thing more or less fell into place!!

Hateful job and I hopefully won't be back in there again any time soon

So that's;

Rebuilt Gearbox and new release bearing fitted
Prop shaft refitted with new centre bearing
Clutch slave cylinder rebuilt
New an3 clutch line made and fitted

Just leaves bolts to tighten at the prop to diff end, exhaust to throw on, petrol in the tank and we should be ready for its first start in what seems like an eternity!!!

Oh and torque the crank pulley bolt, mustn't forget that lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Also got some suede interior bits to cover the sunvisors, arm rest, handbrake gator and have shifter gator to match all with green stitching to match my roll cage

Finally finished the power steering too, got a mishimoto ps reservoir tank because it was the only one I could find in black and finished it off with some braided hose for the feed and return lines

Also got a windscreen washer tank and got that fitted in the boot so that's the boot totally finished off now

Next thing I need to buy is a new front windscreen and get the glass man out to fit all the windows, then I need to finish the front arch liners, fit the drivers side skirt and the body is complete :notworthy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
It's taken a bit longer than I thought, but with winter more or less here now there's no point pushing on to finish it just to look at it for the next 6 months lol!!

Haven't a lot more to do to 100% finish it really

Got the exhaust refitted tonight, gearbox oil topped up to fill, engine oil filled, drivers side skirt fitted.

Annnnnd

I turned it over for the first time in years (ecu unplugged of course) but it sounded good on cranking, no odd noises or bangs which is always a positive!!

On the completion list is

Glass fitted
Bonnet fitted
Subframes welded up for the evo 9 recaros to go in
Refit shifter surround and gator

And that's it done...... Seems weird making a final to do list

There will probably be something go wrong when I actually try to start the thing :whip:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Took a step backwards last night, noticed a drop of coolant on the floor..... Water pipes all connected properly..... Hmmmm

Wait.... That's coolant on the alternator....... Ah ****

Bloody thermostat housing is leaking!!!!!!!

Got it out and re instant gasketed it last night so should be dry by now, will throw coolant back into it this evening and see if it's problem solved

Hopefully will be because that was almost as big of a pig of a job as the gearbox refitting was lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
Took a step backwards last night, noticed a drop of coolant on the floor..... Water pipes all connected properly..... Hmmmm

Wait.... That's coolant on the alternator....... Ah ****

Bloody thermostat housing is leaking!!!!!!!

Got it out and re instant gasketed it last night so should be dry by now, will throw coolant back into it this evening and see if it's problem solved

Hopefully will be because that was almost as big of a pig of a job as the gearbox refitting was lol
Teething problems but better now than when you out enjoying it.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
If that's the only snag having to be fixed ill be happy enough, likley be the odd boost leak here and there but they're easy to sort out.

Got coolant put back in last night and so far no sign of any leaks, but after dumping about 2l of coolant on the floor when the thermostat came out I now need to get some more in the autoparts today :whip:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
It runs!!!!!!!!!!

Managed to get coolant bled but have 2 other issues

1. Puddle of oil on the floor - likley the oil cooler fittings or sandwich plate leaking

2. Idles at 2k rpm, have discovered that the throttle cable has shrunk somehow and holding the throttle open

Oil leak should be annoying but straightforward to fix, the mysterious shrunk throttle cable is a different story, it's as straight and long as I can get it.... Might have to remake the dam thing

I'm thinking the new polybush engine and gearbox mounts are holding the engine firmer so isn't lying back like it was before ffs

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Few more updates

Oil leak fixed, it was indeed the sandwich plate that wasn't tightened down, turns out I only had it hand tight!!!! Schoolboy error but sorted now

Have ordered another length of throttle cable so will be able to remake it now to fit better

Got the drivers side seat welded up and fitted, just the passenger side frame to weld up next and that's the seats done and interior finished

Attachments

241 - 260 of 282 Posts