Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a r34 skyline newly imported and have a odd thudding when I'm half way through my clutch doing sharp tight radius conners (parking lot) alot of people are getting me to belive it is the rear diff active lsd but I'm not to sure. I know for certain that my coilovers are gone and my clutch us brand-new and very strong. Could sonone maybe give a suggestion to the thudding when I corner? I'm lost

·
Seasoned Member
4,504 Posts
When I turn my diff goes clunk clunk clunk and I feel the wheels sort of bouncing on slow tight turns. I have a 2 way LSD fitted

If that is what's happening then yours might be a 2 way also or a welded diff

Was the car used for drifting in Japan?

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Fix it? That's normal for that type of diff... nothing to fix.
A replacement factory diff will make everything behave "normally" though :)

Also, welcome to the forums :bigthumb:

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you have a a-lsd then there aren't any uprated diffs available.
Does it just feel like the diff is locking or does it make noise aswell?

·
Seasoned Member
4,504 Posts
I think 2 way diffs retail at around £700 new. You can buy a second hand diff from a breaker and sell the 2 way which depending on condition could see a nice profit

My recommendation though is keep it and get used to it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay you said to learn how to use it as in it's not a bad thing or what ive realosed that it only happens when im half way through the clutch if its full in gear it wont do that do you think I should be good?

·
Seasoned Member
4,504 Posts
The clutch will only control if the props haft turns or not so it might be something else. Either that or it's just coincidence as you would only get the noise at low speeds as both wheels will want to turn at the same rate unlike a regular diff

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
sure its from the diff?

i had this problem when i removed my gearbox and engine, then split the prop shaft.

I didnt align the knucks on the prop shaft so one was 90 deg out. Caused me a thumbing sound at low speed and also a vibration.

Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sure its from the diff?

i had this problem when i removed my gearbox and engine, then split the prop shaft.

I didnt align the knucks on the prop shaft so one was 90 deg out. Caused me a thumbing sound at low speed and also a vibration.

Ian
What could i do to find out if it is the prop shaft?

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
The differential is welded for drifting.

Buy a new one if you don't want to drift

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
They are not noisey if there working.
not true, had a kazz 2 way that was noisy as hell, where as my nismo is silent in comparison. both work 100%

to the original poster.

ask someone to watch your back wheels when turning in very sharp turns .. if one of the wheels "skips" or "locks" then you have a 1.5 or 2 way LSD (a good thing! these are expensive) however i understand these are not for everyone and mainly used for motorsport and drifting.

however you say it only happens with the clutch half way engaged, so it might be worth checking the propshalft bushes front and rear to see if there is any play (jack the car up sot he rear wheels are off the ground, take the hand brake off, and turn the propshaft... it should feel SOLID with no play/knocking fromt he front and the rear (gearbox/diff)

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
The 4 kazz doffs I have fitted never made any noises all bought from Japan new. All we 2 way. They do take a different oil then normal possibly damaged or low oil or incorrect oil

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The 4 kazz doffs I have fitted never made any noises all bought from Japan new. All we 2 way. They do take a different oil then normal possibly damaged or low oil or incorrect oil
ahh in that case it's very possible and i retract my statement ^^

it was on a drift car and was used as such so possibly was low on oil/worn, still locked up like a bowse

1 - 20 of 22 Posts