Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work in progress!

Thought i'd stick up a few pics of the restoration work of my 32 for posterity.

How it looked a month or so back...

How it looks today, rather sorry for itself, sitting on the standard stiltlike suspension, skirts, spats and spoiler missing...

big cracks at both sides of the bumper...

at least the rusty holes have been fixed but still not looking so good...

Next step will be some arch flaring, i have the technology but no previous experience so that should be fun! Currently running a 10 mm spacer on the rears but will need 15mm to get the front to clear the caliper so they're gonna stick out a bit more than this when its done...

Updates as and when.....

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
I love that front bumper. Is that a genuine Bomex?
Would be tempted to get one of those for mine. Can't decide between a full Vertex kit, or just ditch my bumper for a Bomex, Trust or Trial one. Seeing that pic makes me like the Bomex.

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure its genuine. I'll like it a lot more when it is fixed, painted and gets some shiny new mesh in it! :)

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That'll be the neighbours. Quite a cool little car...if you like that sort of thing! :shakehead:

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
doesnt look that bad mate it could be worse lol

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i have had nowhere near as much time to work on it as i wanted or needed but thought i post some pics of my progress so far
Think i have enough clearance on the rear now :)

Have done both sides on the rear but am gonna have to go back to the drivers side as it isn't quite as far out as the passenger side. Almost done the front drivers side too but that took longer than i thought after i had to remove the caliper and found one of the pins has seized itself inside the caliper so yet another job to do before i get it back together :disappointed: Suppose i might as well give them a lick of paint too since one is off already.
Also the fronts are both easier and harder than the rears, less metal so easier to shape initially but there is so much more flex in the panel that it is proving quite hard to get an even shape. Just cant wait to get the whole thing finished!:bounce: :bounce:

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
getting there mate cant wait to see it finished:dogpile:

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
looking good mate, what you useing an arch roller to flair the arches out?

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You bringing it down to the Knockhill night?
Yeah mate. Wondering if i'm gonna be brave enough to drive it round though!

looking good mate, what you useing an arch roller to flair the arches out?
Yup. Have got a shot of a SARD roller from a local garage. It's the cheapest one on the market and i can see why. It just doesn't feel very sturdy and i have had to replace a certain split pin twice now.

Today i have taken the morning off to get a bit further on but the front is doing my head in. Very hard to get it sitting in a nice position. You do one bit and think its going ok. Go back over a little bit that still looks a bit off and it pulls the rest out of shape again!:swear: :swear: :swear:

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woohoo! Matching wheels!!

Admittedly only cos the caliper is off but i have studs and spacers winging there way to me :)

Have resigned myself to having a very slight protrusion on the fronts as i still need another 5mm on but fairly happy with this mornings progress...

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quicky update....

Got the calipers all painted (nearly in the pics) although i reckon it will just be temporary job as looks like at least the rears could do with a proper overhaul at some point in the near future. Decided against the done to death - look at me i've painted my calipers red look - and opted for a tin on halfords HT paint in sparkly metallic black (looks silver to me!?) and some red for the nissan logos...

Have new studs and spacers for the front now so that and bleeding the brake system will be the weekends work followed next week by getting my aches re-welded after breaking one and cutting out the other in the flaring process - good waste of £30! - then on to the fun filler work prior to the painting.

Getting there, slowly! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like the look of those calipers in black sparkle/red - different yet understated :)

Must cach the light differently as the rears look silver and the fronts black in the pics

Are you changing the brake lines to braided at the same time as you'll be bleeding the brakes etc anyway?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts