Skyline Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks [email protected] nice to hear you've found it interesting, I've had a little break from adding more to this while I was waiting for some more pic's from the guys that did all the work.

Once they'd cut the rusty sections from the wheel arch and the rear of the sill on the o/s (Drivers side) it's obvious from the pic above that they needed to work along the rest of the sill.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Please excuse the quality of some of these pics, I have them uploaded on my mobile and tapatalk is saying the file is to big for some reason so these are pics of pics from my pc.
I'm new to this tapatalk so if anyone knows how I can rectify it I'd be grateful.

The following are also the O/S after the cutting away and cleaning up is completed prior to rebuilding.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Rebuild of inner and outer sills underway, you can also just see at the top left of the first pic the new wheel arch partly done. This also had to be made from scratch the same as all the replacement sill parts as they were not available anywhere. I'll come back to the wheel arches again later.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Back to the O/S rear wheel arch, the first pic is a reminder of how it was when I retrieved it from my garage and part of the reason why it went in there in the first place.
The pics after that cover the rust being cut out, a new one being made and it being fitted through to filling and getting ready for painting.

Inside wheel arch

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Terry I appreciate your comments and I sure hope it'll only be done the once.

This next pic (hopefully) is a reminder of the state the rear near side rear arch was in once they started knocking out the rust but this is mainly a trial as I've been messing about with flickr to see if I can add pics from my pc better than via my mobile.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/Y34YL2

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh well that was a fail, I was hoping it'd put the pic up rather than just a link, maybe someone can put me right on adding pics via a pc but in the mean time I'll go back to the poorer quality pics of pics via tapatalk to not only save anyone reading this opening all the links but also to save my sanity because it's doing my head in...
:swear:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok time for another try at beating my uploading pics difficulty, all being well here's a few pics of the inner N/S rear wheel arch and the problems found.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
More n/s wheel arch rot at the base of the forward facing section and slightly higher up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm not really sure how best to cover the work done on the n/s sill section running from the rear wheel arch to front wheel so I thought I'd start with a reminder of it at the beginning after the paint had been taken off, as well as the damage found near the front wheel and its bad repair which must have been done in Japan.

They also found more damage on the ledge below the passenger door which had also impacted on the inside above the floor pan and again not very well repaired.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The next few are the n/s side again with the outer sill removed showing not only what's underneath and how its constructed but the hidden rust and corrosion.
In my case the majority of it is at the front spreading backwards from the damaged and badly repaired section but there is still quite a bit in the mid section and a lot in the rear section adjoining the wheel arch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks Moff, there was a lot more than I initially thought needed doing but as you'll know once you've started you can't stop, particularly when you can't do it yourself but thankfully the restorer who done the work (P J Smith in Bedford) were very accommodating at having rest periods for additional fund raising periods on my part and did the work over just short of a year.

I've been trying to show pics (hopefully without over doing it) on the areas you hope never to see on your own car but show what's underneath and how they're built just in case you do...ha.

At this point in the build I'd decided on what my end aim was, I have a standard factory R33 GTS spec 1 with its Japanese service history, all its original hand books etc so it'd be a shame to lose that, especially as there are less and less unmodified versions around now.
So I aimed to demodify what little it's had done and hopefully end up with a choice between a Factory Standard with its original wheels ect - wheels which at this point I still didn't know if I could find and get back - or as I also had a spec 2 Spoiler and Grille have those done as well so that I can have a change if I want.

Anyway thanks for your message and I'll keep adding more as and when I get over the continuing problems of uploading pics which is due to what ever problem my phone or laptop deem to be appropriate to wind me up with at the time...ha

NB: I am still looking for a Spec 1 high level brake light, the one that's set in the spoiler if anyone has one for sale. See my post in parts wanted if you have. Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Back to the rear near side wheel arch, you'll have seen how rotten this was earlier so quite a lot had to be cut out.

I'd been lucky enough to obtain the lower part of another rear wing which was in good condition so this side didn't need making from scratch like the other side.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Next on the seemingly never ending list was the Turrets and the underside of the front wings.
As much as I'd liked to have had the engine out and also have it fully cleaned funds were running on fumes so all this was managed with the engine still in place.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts