Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an new exhaust and induction kit fitted on saturday and the car was running fine. Yesterday after a drive she started making a hell of a noise like a tractor or a bike. My first thought was Maf, so went to my mates house and borrowed his maf as his car is not running. Fitted it last nite and was running fine. But late this afternoon after showing someone my new mods she started playing up again?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
tractor and bike are two toaly different noises to my ears,is it an all the time noise or a boost noise?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Is it firing on 5 or even 4? Check your plugs an coil packs! Disconnect each coil pack an plug it back in one by one, if the engine note changes you know that pack is ok, if when you disconnect a pack an nothing happens you know that pack aint doing nothing, in which case, replace! If all these are fine, i would check the plugs! Also check the exhaust aint blowingno where!

loz

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds bad all the time, I think it sounds like a bike and my mrs thought i was a tractor coming up the road. But is'nt it a bit wierd that it is playing up the same as yesterday and changing the maf solved it, but now it is playing up again?

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
have you checked the manifold studs?

or maybe you have a lose wire on one of the conectors

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not yet i played about with the maf to see if that helped as it worked yesterday. Surely none of these could be intermittant faults could they? Things like Manifold or exhaust would be blowing all the time. Just wierd how last nite amd on the way to work today she was running sweet

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did check the connections to the maf and seemed to be ok. However, there is 5 pins and only 4 cables. one had been stripped back and wound in loads of insulation tape?

·
bla
17,374 Posts
my car was the same mate, Ran like a dream, Then one morning its sounded like a tractor.... The manifold was in half..... :doh:

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
my car was the same mate, Ran like a dream, Then one morning its sounded like a tractor.... The manifold was in half..... :doh:
Nick R32 problem is intermitent (<spelling) so it has to be something lose, or could it be dampness from all the rain we've had over the last few days?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That does make sense, it's just finding out what is loose. What are the chances of 2 maf's dying in 2 days?

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
did you remove the lambda / o2 sensor when fitting you new exhaust? and knocked the wires or connector?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a very good point, powerflow made the cat back exhaust there and then, so yea they did move the lambda. However the 2 hour drive home was fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, will try out your suggestions tommorow. Cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
610 Posts
a manifold bolt may ahve snapped and is leaking exhaust. or u busted yer manifold gasket, or u are running on 4 or 5 cyclinders, or u busted a hole in your manifold or elbow. and u have accidentally installed a tractor or bike motor in your car. i suggest putting the RB back in

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
does it loose a good chunk of its performance if so it could just be an intercooler pipe or similar split but only causing a problem at certain load etc

·
Registered
285 Posts
could be the exhaust as i had a car once that when the exhaust heated up it blew loads but when it was cold it was fine, did they use the crappy liquid gasket to fit the exhaust with ??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone, It's going up on the ramps tomorrow to give it a good looking over. Will check everything you have suggested and let you know tommorow who was correct. It's running bad at idle and when on the move. I'm still thinking it's a loose lead or something as it was running bad, then perfect, then bad again. I'm also going to plug it into the diagnostic machine to see if i have any luck that way. Has anyone killed 2 mafs in a short space of time, or cant they be that sensitive?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Was the afm you borrowed working in another car? If so i would give up on that idea as we already know your problem is intermitant so this is probably nothing to do with the afm weather you change it or not! It does sound like something is loose, but coil packs can be intermitant aswel, like when they get warmer an cooler!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It just seems wierd how i fitted the induction kit and it was fine, next day played up and just by changing the afm it seemed to sove it. Maybe just a coincidence, but you can see why my thoughts were something to do with the afm or thereabouts. Checked the wires and were fine.
Did someone mention have the car running and listen to the note of the engine for the coil packs? Remove one at a time?

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
i am on my 3rd afm in 2 years and even this one is playing up mate. first one just doesnt rev properlay and then it does,2nd makes the car run dangerously lean and this one makes the car hunt badly and missfire at idle if i dont switch a/c on and sometimes it stalls as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts