Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
are there any N/A drifters out there and/or is it a viable option??
I assume you want to attend a drift day?

Ive never been in an NA 33 but of course it will drift. Will drift better with a few mods.

IMO it will have to be driven hard and maybe feel slightly underpowered due to the weight, that could work in your favour as many people agree learning in a car that doesn't have a lot of power will teach you proper weight transition rather than relying on power.

·
Mark
579 Posts
i used to have an N/A and tried a few times in it u have to give it a bit of a caining but it can be done its difficult to keep it going tho as the power isn't quite there unless of course the surface is wet then its a peice of cake lol mine was standard tho other then and air filter so maybe with a few mods it'll be easier? think it'll be expensive tho ive got a turbo now and its perfect

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just noticed your from spalding blaine.

Norfolk arena will probably be your most local track.

There is a practice day there on the 18th June. I think you'll get on fine as its a dusty track and very slippy

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
It really depends what type of n/a engine your car has (assuming your not planning on an engine transplant ..?)

The R33 has 2 n/a options
RB20E
RB25DE
....and a 3rd - RB25DE (GTS-4) but being 4wd its probably a bad choice for n/a drifting lol

Realistically, the only viable option is the 25DE. Drifting isn't all about power, torque plays a big roll in keeping the car sideways and the 25DE beats the 20E in both power and torque by a lot (stock for stock). Also assuming all suspension related mods, wheels etc are the same.
A 25DE will respond to mods much better too

There is also a hybrid RB30DE option, you would definitely have no shortage of torque :)

Bottom line is a car will drift as well as its set up to drift... its not all about the engine, removing weight will help, as well as the correct suspension set up etc etc

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
honetly i dont think it is at all in a 33. they are too heavy and not powerful enough in my eyes to drift good. other cars its different for eg ae86's as they weigh next to nothing.

now if you put a na v8 in then its different

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys a geat help ive had both rb20e and 25 de i just like the challange of a non turbo the 20e used to drift well but it was set up to drift LSD the lot.

·
スカイライン
45 Posts
Don well attest, I have been drifting my R33 RB20E Auto, welded diff, drilled air box, bog standard everywhere else (its a work in progress). She drifts ok, but does need a lot of weight shifting to get her going properly in the dry. On a wet day, just kicking it down is enough to get her going. Hard to keep a good drift going due to the lack of power.

Dons RB25DE goes like the proverbial **** off a shovel round Pod, so if your looking to buy, Id say get something with the RB25DE.

·
Registered
108 Posts
defo rb25de as I have an rb20e and find it very slowwww, so slow in fact I was beaten by an old panda at pod with a max speed of 76 mph lol.
even with redline clutch kicks it doesnt really want to know but I am by no means a skilled driffter and in her defence she does sound great

·
Registered
117 Posts
I drive an r32 rb20de with lsd fitted and it drifts fine.
Fair enough you have to keep the revs right up in the 7k area but it does hold sideways for a while.

I found using 15" wheels is the key though the 17s start gripping and without the torque it means you soon start to straighten up and grip.

maybe the 33 is just a little too heavy and long for the rb20de to pull

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
maybe the 33 is just a little too heavy and long for the rb20de to pull
There was no 20DE released in an R33...
20E, 25DE, 25DE (attesa) are the only n/a options in the R33 :)

Have you modified your 20DE at all to gain a bit more torque out of it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ive got a r32 four door with a rb25de, apart from someone has put a horrid s13 diff on it and ruined my gear ratios its still an awesome thing to skid.

·
Registered
156 Posts
25DE drifts well in 2nd gear no probs just keep revs up ;)

Another very useful mod is REAL alloy wheels.. quality stuff.. I remember someone saying that 500 grams lighter wheel is 5 kg less weight in acceleration and braking or was it even more? :O

and ofcourse, put Chinese shitty tires (=plastic!) on rear wheels so its less grip for sure.. thou could be a challenge to control the slide with those since they could be unpredictable on semi-wet surface.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts