Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bounty Hunter
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been asked already, but is it possible to have a 'Name and Shame' section on the forum? Reason being (obvious anyway), but just seen the Paul Brown Cars thread come up again, and just think it would be a great idea to have a section on the forum where we can post / start a thread on bad experiences we've had from companies.

With money being tighter than ever, it would be at least a start to pre-warn the guys and girls on here about any dodgy companies before we spend our hard earned cash.

What do you think?

·
1 of 225. 11th April 2010
950 Posts
i think it would be useful, but would have to have strict rules to stop it becoming a slagging match, but it would be useful to have a thread where people have received excellent customer service, and encourage our club to use said companies

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
I have see and experienced "dispute sections" on other forums, which in general work quite well, but they are always limited to exclude anyone but the two people/company's involved so you don't get the stirrers posting.

As for the PB scenario, you have to be very careful, it can get very awkward for the forum owners, PB actually took out a court injunction to prevent anything being said on the Supra forum as they where originally members there until a few people reported the problems they had had with cars bought from them.

·
RSP Tuned 515.7 BHP
7,041 Posts
i think it would be useful, but would have to have strict rules to stop it becoming a slagging match, but it would be useful to have a thread where people have received excellent customer service, and encourage our club to use said companies
A litigation nightmare
..., but how can that be any different to when people comment on bad experiences in just a normal thread?
:iagree:

with all the above, dunno how you could action all this tho...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am a Mod on another site and it an nightmare to have, your going get people who love that company to people who hate it, you have deal with matters like slander it a nightmare. As much it would be good it alot hassle :(

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree it could become a sticky area of discussion...

I do find it funny PB has been mentioned,especially after the experience my wife and i had with them !!!

·
1,171 Posts
Hmm its an awkward one. If a forum opens a section for that they really should give the company right to reply as always 2 sides to everything.
If its a trader you can air your issue on there section for them to reply to. However ive heard people mention some traders have deleted bad feedback threads. Mods or admin would know for sure if this is true or not though.
however if members have a rant in an open section its within acceptable allowance as its there personal opinion and not encouraged by the forum.

so yes a section dedicated to that would open a legal nightmare to slander

an other option is a positive feedback section where members can buy from recommended companies rather than the unlisted ones. But that will depends on what the actual traders have arranged as they contribute towards the running of the site

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
As I said before on another forum I belong to they have a "dispute section" this only allows the two parties involved to comment, this way nobody else can comment, so its just airs the problems publically, this helps to get things resolved, as its there for all to see, good and bad, it cannot lead to any litigation as by posting there you agree to the rules, mind you it only works if the party the complaint is made against wants to play ball.

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
Interesting, however I don't think its a big cause for concern, if its was 50% of forum comments would be classed as libelous, defamatory etc etc, and thats now!
So far I have heard nothing about any legal actions because someone has taken exception to a casual comment, just another sad example of PC gone stupid.

Anyway cant forum rules be updated to take this and future possible dodgy areas into consideration, so if you agree to the rules then you waver any rights to take any form of legal action?;)

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Anyway cant forum rules be updated to take this and future possible dodgy areas into consideration, so if you agree to the rules then you waver any rights to take any form of legal action?;)
Unfortunately, this legal stance overrides any rules or waivers we would put in place as was specifically stated in this case.

Right now, people are free to air their grievances in the forums of the specific traders who are here. Regarding traders that might remove comments, the moderator and admin teams have the ability to view/undo that action if it happens.

To make comments about traders that are unable to provide their own input would be very biased. Not everyone knows about the dealings undertaken by myself or Keith in the background, due to comments that have been made here in the past regarding people and companies. If we opened the doors to that kind fire, we would have to hire a full time legal department.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts