Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying my first skyline and wondered....

Some of them come with turbo timers, boost controllers, guages etc etc and some that I am finding online appear to be almost totally standard with no additional extras apart from perhaps alloys, exhaust and so on.

Are these bits and bobs (laymans terms) necessary? usefull? Need to have or Desperately needed?

What I am trying to find is a skyline that I will not have to spend a total fortune adding to for a little while after I buy it (although being a natural born modder I'm sure it won't be long......) but at the same time, if its better to have certain gadgets then I want to make sure I get what I need.

Opinions gratefuly received.

·
Registered
766 Posts
modifications rearely add much value so if you can find one with mods your likely to do anyway then buying ready modified will save you a fortune. Athough with buying modified cars there is a greater risk of it having been completely ragged (hence why i favoured buying via this forum, where people generally have a better understanding and care for thier cars).

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
modifications rearely add much value so if you can find one with mods your likely to do anyway then buying ready modified will save you a fortune. Athough with buying modified cars there is a greater risk of it having been completely ragged (hence why i favoured buying via this forum, where people generally have a better understanding and care for thier cars).
Yeh I agree.

My car was completely standard when I had it and I know whats been done and done correctly.

Little mods like a electronic boost controller/gauge should be the very 1st step.
Then get your bank manager to auth a big loan for the rest:D

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
As he said ^^^ If you have a think on what sort of power and therefore mods you be likely to do anyway then could be worthwhile trying to find one thats already had the work done. Other folks will say it's best off to buy one as close to standard as possible so you have a good clean base to start from.

Also as was said before, if you buy one from a forum member, you can rest assured it was in the hands of an enthusiast and you can also check its history through the owners posts.

Feel free to post links to any that you are considering and we will be happy to give you our opinion :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm with hugh jass on this one, my car was totally standard when I bought it apart from a turbo timer (which is handy!) at least you can have all the fun of modding it yourself and you will know its been done properly and excactly how you want it. You'll also have all the expense of doing it yourself, but if you were worried about that you wouldn't have a Skyline!!! :grinno:

·
Number 1 Monkey
591 Posts
I have had my R33 GTS-T stock for a year now until recently I tinkered with air filters, exhausts and boost switches.

I would say a decent exhaust has been the best mod - such as a Japspeed system (on offer here in the traders section). Made a big difference to my enjoyment of the car (sounds far nicer and IMHO how a skyline should sound!) and now makes my car heard before it is seen.

Best cheapest mod is earthing the boost solenoid + fitting a switch - improves the midrange on the car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feel free to post links to any that you are considering and we will be happy to give you our opinion :)
http://www.redlineimports.co.uk/detail_display.php?car_id=26050701

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_popup.jsp?photosOn=1&dealerid=12545&did=12545&pageid=4&modelexact=1&make=NISSAN&model=SKYLINE&min_pr=0&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&keywords=&max_records=50&photo=0&dealersearch_full=SEARCH&start=7&distance=0&adcategory=cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=200724288516917

Thats two examples I like, the first has not much done to it, but is what I was looking for colour wise etc.

The second, much more modded

No one gets to go nicking my potential cars tho lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol at the mo thats the two I fancy the most. Not massively keen on the front bumper of the second but love the wheels. As for all the gadgets onboard, well it totally bamboozled me but I'm sure they're all there for a valid reason and if I bought it I'd just have to learn fast

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would advise you to stear clear of keighley trade centre, far too many horror stories about them
Actully mate you ain't the first to mention that, I won't go into it on a public forum, mate of mine bought a scoob from them, all appears ok so far but have heard some rather serious rumours

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Andy I hear you, read most of the thread well at least the first 6 pages and that was enough. Consider the second car off the list.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts