Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, the arse who wired up the gauges and CD player in my car had no idea what he was doing. So now, I present to you my wiring mess.

1st thing: In-dash clock (time) doesn't work. I originally thought it was just faulty, so I replaced it and it still won't work. The harness and everything is in, so here's some pics of that:

2nd thing: I'm planning on installing a new CD player since the last one didn't work. This is how it was connected(no harness whatsoever...just individual wires)

3rd thing: Found this with one of the wires cut. Can anyone identify what the hell it is? The white bit runs near the shifter and back behind the e-brake.

4th thing: Found these two cables behind the dash. Anyone know what they are?

5th thing: Here's how my turbo timer was hooked up before it went all screwey...I'm wondering if I should just keep it like that for future installation of a new turbo timer or what?

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
you think thats bad you should have seen mine it was done with normal household wireing, i dont have time now but i will have a proper look when i get home from work this evening

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Long story short, the arse who wired up the gauges and CD player in my car had no idea what he was doing. So now, I present to you my wiring mess.

1st thing: In-dash clock (time) doesn't work. I originally thought it was just faulty, so I replaced it and it still won't work.
2nd thing: I'm planning on installing a new CD player since the last one didn't work. This is how it was connected(no harness whatsoever...just individual wires)
3rd thing: Found this with one of the wires cut. Can anyone identify what the hell it is? The white bit runs near the shifter and back behind the e-brake.
4th thing: Found these two cables behind the dash. Anyone know what they are?
5th thing: Here's how my turbo timer was hooked up before it went all screwey...I'm wondering if I should just keep it like that for future installation of a new turbo timer or what?
You'll be needing a mutilmeter to check a lot of that.

1) To check the clock for perminent power,Ignition and lights plus a ground. I cant imagine there would be anything else going to the clock.

2) Check again for Perminent Power, Ignition, lights and make a new ground from the chassis (this will stop you side light fuse from blowing) Check resistance across remaining pairs for somewhere around 4 ohms and note the pairs; you should have 4. To find out whats what later, once you have the head unit powered up, you can test each pair to find out which is front right, front left, rear right, and rear left. You'll of course have to crimp new connections.

3) Dont recognise it as a nissan connector. I'd trace back to see where it goes.

4) Looks like a Mutichanger CD player din socket. Could possible be from an external GPS unit, but again trace it back to see what it connects to.
The other is the FM antenna.

5) Up to you really. If its working fo now leave it.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Pic 2 - Looks a complete mess mate, im pretty sure there speaker cables.
Pic 3 - Looks like some sort of power connector.
Pic 4 - Are the aerials. You will probably need to get an FM expander and adaptors for these as newer stereos wont have these connections.

If i was you mate, if your electrically challenged then i would definetly get someone to have a look and fit it for you, In mine there are three cables nice and tidy that just looks like some crazy modern wire art!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Just a Quickie,you mentioned that the C-D player and clock werent
working, I spent a day with the same problem and it turned out to
be a fuse that had blown, Sorry if i am stating the obvious and you
have checked the fuses already.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
yeah i thought i was gonna be clever and say about the cd changer wires but everyone else got there first ....as for the rest .........me and wireing aint friends so im no help im afraid.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, the CD player half-worked. The FM and everything was fine but the actual CD playing didn't go so well. Also, thanks for the help with the wiring issues. It's been a real pain >.<

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I replaced a lot of the fuses yesterday and the dash clock (time) started to work. Then by the end of the day it stopped working...Also, I'm getting hot air blowing in from around the glovebox and pedal area. I'm thinking that this is from the engine? My dad checked everything and said that it doesn't seem the engine is overheating and that the oil is fine?

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
for the heater problem just do a search on PBR and that should help

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
mine did the same the heat will come through even with the unit swiched off, its a flap which opens to let the hot air through and closes to allow cold air through, you will find this grey box in the drivers footwell on the side of the heater unit, mine was jammed holding the flap open lettin only hot air through, try adjustin the temp on the unit and twisting the arm on the servo in the pic it might just be that and it's worth a try:)

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
mine did the same the heat will come through even with the unit swiched off, its a flap which opens to let the hot air through and closes to allow cold air through, you will find this grey box in the drivers footwell on the side of the heater unit, mine was jammed holding the flap open lettin only hot air through, try adjustin the temp on the unit and twisting the arm on the servo in the pic it might just be that and it's worth a try:)

I get this sometimes as well, will have to give it a try.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'll try it tomorrow and see if it works. Meanwhile, anyone know what causes the clock to **** up? Only my RPM's and water temp works and the spedo and everything doesn't. Also, it tends to say that it idles at like 2500 RPM. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts