Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is do i need to remove the lower timing cover to set at top dead center on the crank spocket?.. i was told i need to but then if i remove the crank pulley and timing cover then how to use crank pulley to set it at the 0 timing mark for top dead center?

or from this picture i post up shorty can i just use the little nipple/dipple thingy to use that to line it up to the 0 mark?

i will have it circled in red and a red arrow pointing to it.. can someone please tell me if that is what i need to go by or do i actually need to remove the lower cover?

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
what i done was took off the bottom pulley and all the timing belt covers, and got the most technical tool a mechanic has............ a tipp ex pen!!!
mark the bottom pully and the block exactly across from each other and the same with the top two pulleys, release the tensioner and remove belt and refit opposite way and making sure tension is correct and turning engine by hand ensuring marks line up identical again.
unless of course your engine isnt timed correctly which would make what i wrote useless:spank:
and in case u wonder the majority of timing belts i do are done this way mate hope it helps:cheers: including mine

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks.. i'll try it your way

the other day yesturday.. i tired setting it at top dead center by using the that littpe dipple thing on the lower cover and i guess which either didn't work or i didn't do it right becasue my exhuasst cam did not line up.

; (

also if this even helps you.. I been having problems on cylinder 2,3,and 6.

I get no spark what so ever, while engine running, i unplug the coils they make no change on 2,3, and 6.. so i tired different coils, changed the spark plugs, gap at .8 and still nothing no fire, no spark at all, i even swapped ingitors with someone and nothing. Also the spark plugs on 2,3, and 6 are getting wet with fuel so its not a fuel issuse. and it's very buggin me out now.. I been trying to firgue it out for 2 weeks. : (

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
are u getting compression in those cylinders??
and u could remove no 1 cylinder plug and with a loooooong thin screwdriver place down the hole,turn the engine until the screwdriver sits at top dead centre and then check the camshaft positions with there markings. but dont remove the belt

doh re-read what u said ignore my question:spank:

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
if you are not getting a spark check all wiring from start to finish as it sounds as if there may b a loose plug or something simple,and u could try temporary piggybacking each coil from the next one just to see if it changes anything as in it sparks and may run a bit better.BUT its not a cure it is only to test if you can make the engine run a bit better and then u will know if ita a wiring fault hopefully.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do i do that piggybacking each coil?

and yes i did use a long screwdriver to put in the cylinder 1 hole and as the srewdriver stopped pushing up is when i stopped turning the crank and exhuast cam is still off by 1 it seems.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
find the live wire that sends the signal to fire the coil and temporary piggyback it with another piece of wire to the same colour and position of wire in the coil not firing. assuming you have checked wiring for an earth as well.
as for the exhaust cam if you are sure the crank is correct and the inlet too release the tension and remove the belt then turn the exhaust cam until it lines up,then refit belt and retension it all turn over to ensure all lines up,but do this first b4 the coils mate just in case that is all it is.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
yes mate but be careful as the coils are only a suggestion and i would hate to see u damage them beyond repair.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
kk mate but am signing off shortly so will check up tommorrow mate how u got on. but i reckon it needs to be elictrical

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update... I'm having trouble remvoing the crank pulley bolt.. keeps spinning on me.. : (

i did put it in gear and put e-break on and plus with bricks in front of the rear-wheels but the wheels just keep spinning.. I know its weird..

any idea's?

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
i removed my pulley bolt by removing the starter motor and jamming a screwdriver between the flywheel teeth and the gearbox casing and with a lot of effort and slipped screwdriver it cracked loose mate. but be careful of the screwdriver you use as if it breaks and falls in to the casing you may be a little buggered mate.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts