Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a set of k-sport coilovers from apex for my r33 , they were a used test set which they had on there test car for a while .
Now i have fitted these and drove the car along the road and your arse is constantly bouncing out the seat and every bump or uneven road surface the car is bouncing all over the place !!! its fine on good roads like the bypass and handles well but is undriveable on normal roads !!!!
how do i set them up for a better drive as they are ride height adjustable which i have set to a perfect height ,32way rebound and compression adjustment which is set to near soft and also has spring preload adjustment which i have not touched as they were already on there test car so i thought this would be fine .
Which do i adjust ???? as i cant drive it !!!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Might have a high poundege spring on them

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Hi Mate,

I had a set of K-sport before. They are very bouncy and very hard. On the roads round here it was almost like you had square wheels on your car. The car was undriveable and very skittish.
Get used to it cos it doesnt improve. You can change the damping all the way to soft and loosen the springs to their max level but I found it made a slight improvement on very smooth roads but on normal or bumpy roads it was still the same.

Dont get me wrong, on the track the cars bolted down with them but not on your daily drive.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
yep the k sports are track suspension,mine are ok now ive had time to tune them a bit,i have the back a few click softer than the front

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i suppose i will have to sell em then cos i cant drive the car on normal roads its bloody silly as you have no control and your always tenseing up everytime you drive over stone !! lucky i dont have a sunroof cos if it was open people would keep seeing my head popping in and out everytime i go over a bump !!

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Mine went for that very reason. :D
You might wanna try em out on track first and see how you feel about them. As a daily ride you're gonna have to get a harness to hold you still :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
think i need more then a harness!!!! will it make any difference if i harden the adjustment from soft to hard or am i wasting my time ?? the car is lovely on smooth roads like **** to a blanket but embarresing when on normal bumpy/pothole roads !
i was gonna go for tein ss but i had teins on my impreza and took them of before my arse broke the seat from bouncing around to much and my mate has hks on his r33 and he says to hard so i thought id give ksports a go ! i should of gone for the uprated shocks and lowered spring option !!

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Well, I'm swapping to Tein SS because they're much softer than the K-sport. The spring rate on K-sport are around 13kg/10kg where as on the Tein they're around 5/4. Some think they're too soft and almost close to stock but I found that I prefer some comfort rather than total performance.

If you want something harder than SS you could go for the Tein Flex. I've heard from a few that the HKS are hard as well.

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
I have the k-sport and have set them for road use.

You need to slack off the spring rate so the bottom adjustment only just tweeks the spring.

Then I set the road height to only 30mm lower than standard and set the dampers to default.

This did take quite a while to set up.

After that it was quite a nice ride.

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts

You need to slack off the spring rate so the bottom adjustment only just tweeks the spring.

Then I set the road height to only 30mm lower than standard and set the dampers to default.

True. It does take a while to set them up. Try tweaking first and if you're not happy after that you can pursue other options.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

you set the dampers to default ????????

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
I had this problem when i was running K-Sport suspension. Do not preload the springs and make sure you dial in some force into the dampner, leaving it at zero made it very boucny due to the srping rate, therefore you have to put some resistance into the shocks to stop them from bouncing. It is a hard ride but very rewarding once you get them set up correct ;)

PM me if you nee more help

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
yeah default damping is, i think from memory, 2 turns clockwise from futhest setting anti-clock wise. It does state this in the manual.

It may be the other way round..... ant-clockwise to clockwise

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
because i purchased a used test set i didnt get a manual !! my ride height is set where i want it but not sure on preload though , i think they have been set to just take the slack up in the spring and i set damping to softest setting (which is anti-clockwise) then after an emmbarrasing drive came back and turned damping two full turns harder (clockwise) on the front and will do same on the back but have not had time to remove the back seats to adjust them yet ! will let you know what happens ! probably not much !!!!
Thank you everyone for your replys though makes me feel better to know other people have had similar problems and most have managed to set theres up !

·
RB25det inside
1,253 Posts
I was told you can get different rate springs by the motor factors that sold me my k-sports.
I agree they are very bouncy on regular roads but very good on the track "witch i want my car for".
If i was you i'd ring up apex + ask can you get a set of softer rated springs !

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right update !! came home from work and removed rear seats so i could adjust damping settings , they were set to max soft so i turned adjusters two full turns clockwise to harden the damping and went for a drive .
Much better but still a bit bouncy so turned them another two full turns clockwise to harden even more (there are 4&half turns between soft and hard settings in total) and a lot better , not much bouncing about and more stable so drove home and parked up then turned them another half a turn harder so at the end of the day there all set at full hardnes (4&half turns) which were what they were originaly set up at when apex sent them to me !!! much better to drive and puts the power down so much more that it easily spins back wheels now !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts