Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok obviously with 600+bhp in my gtst im going to always have traction issues but this year im looking to cut that problem down a little!! the only mods done to the suspension on the car are the nitrogen filled k sport coilovers, now these are wound quiet far down as i like the low look on my car, but the camber is now horrific and with it spinning the wheels its wearing the inside of my 19" tyres like no tomorrow, so when te car comes back out in april it needs sorting, im thinking its going to need some sort of adjustable camber arms to sort that out, along with new tyres then somebody to set it all up, as the coilovers are 3 way adjustable etc, can anybody recommend anything else thats worth doing to help with the grip, and wheres a good place to get it set to the right angles and dampness? im in derby in the midlands, cheers jamie

·
Registered
291 Posts
you looking for low end traction or high end traction, with 600HP you're always gonna have some low end issues but at higher speeds you can start to look into aerodynamics a bit more, get a full skid plate under the car, front splitter, more aggressive spoiler etc.

·
Drift Moderator
1,935 Posts
Front and rear camber arms, front tension rods (caster adjustment), and rear toe arms. Those are the ones I'd consider more or less essential to be able to set the suspension right when lowered,esp on a car like yours. If you had the cash you could buy front and back lower arms and widen the car which makes a big difference to the stability, you'll need the adjustable traction arms as well for that ideally.
Running wider wheels and tyres makes quite a difference but if you really want amazing grip then run semi-slick tyres, just be careful in the wet :D

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well obviously i need to start with the basics i think, the tyres are 265 on the rear and catch now and again on the arch so i cannot really go much wider on the back, and low end traction is a massive issue but im getting wheelspin at 130-140+mph which really isnt good, think i may start with setting the suspension up as the coilovers are set too hard and theres no give in them and then set the camber as i think only 50% of the tyres actually doing anything? cheers

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Hi Jamie..
you wont like this, but for road use.. raise the suspension.. ultra low is useless on UK roads.. as are hard settings.
as much as i dont like the way it looks now with gaps under the arches, my car is now so much better since fitting height adjustable suspension that meant i could raise it. After all i bought the car to drive it not look at it :)
Also get all adjustable arms then give centreofgravity a ring to get the geometry set up to your driving style. (corner weighted too if you want to really get the best out of it)
(off the top of my head i think it was about £400 for a proper setup)

·
DWYB.CO.UK
799 Posts

·
Drift Moderator
1,935 Posts
That'll make camber worse Keith, when it squats you get quite a lot more negative camber. Thats what having longer upper camber arms stops from happening so bad. Its not so pronounced if he does like Rich says and makes it higher though. Should help with grip as you've said by being softer and not bouncing around as much.

I've got -0.5 just now on the rear but when the car squats down I reckon it gets to around 2.5 - 3 deg negative even with adjustable arms. Mine is very low though so its worse.

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Some good advice here.
Essentials you'll need
1. adj rear camber arms
2. longer rear traction/toe arms
3. tyre pressure is v important, keep an eye on it. 28-31psi (2 psi can make a big difference)
4. adj front traction arms
5. adj front camber arms

4+5 are optional, but if ya got 600 ponies you want to do it right. then get it set up. there's a thread in the faq section iirc that has the specs on what settings are best.

It maybe worth having a look at the subframe mounts. these are often over looked, and excess play can ruin grip.

And as said before, tyre choice, 888's are good, but if you use it everyday, can be bad in the wet...

hope this help :)

·
NBOOST
3,309 Posts
another one concerning your wheels, you say they catch now when it has been aligned with a bit less camber they are going to catch even more. I had the same problem when I did my rear arms and the bottom arms were fully adjusted in. luckily mine was a cheap enough fix I just had to get some 5mm smaller spacers from ultralite to cure it.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
i would say that the traction rods are high on the importance list,if the traction rods arent holding tight it will alter toe and camber(and on the front caster too) badly under load,camber is easy to live with if the rest if set up well

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Hi,I think with 600bhp,no traction control through the rear wheels you cannot expect it to drive like it has 300bhp.I have 285 tyres,550 bhp and my car has just 4 wheel set up and I can spin the the wheels up in 4th if I just plant my foot.Not saying it cannot be improved but it will be marginal.Cheers.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I would also think about a decent diff,
The std item will just let the inside wheel spin away all the time,
I'm gonna get a r200 nismo diff at some point it should make a good improvement.
Or race logic do traction control but that sort of takes the fun out of it lol

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
yeh i did realise it may need heighering, but then with the coilovers i have i thought i may be able to get round it, is it just rear adjustable camber arms i need? and where is that place you mentioned, have you used them? cheers
no, if youre having a decent geo set up you need to get the a full set of adjustable arms under there.. (yes you could just buy camber adjusters but youre giving them much less to work with and probably wasting your time and money)

adjustable front tension rods (tca)
front camber adjustment of some type
adjustable rear camber arms
adjustable rear traction control arms
and get rid of the hicas if you have it still id say

I went to a presentation Chris from centre of gravity gave last year, where i saw what they do and how. These guys really know there stuff.
When you take your car to them as well as setting it up.. they run a workshop and actually explain and show you how geometry works on your car and show YOU how to adjust it. Since its only YOU that can ever decide how you want your car to handle, you need to know how to alter it (or least be able to determine what you want adjusting and by how much if you get someone else to adjust it).
http://www.centergravity.co.uk/

I started replacing the arms on my car with a view to then taking it to them to set it up, I still need to get some front camber adjusters first though. Chris said the whiteline camber bushes will do but they were out of stock everywhere last time i tried to get them.
So whilst ive not used them myself yet.. i have spoken to people who have taken some serious cars there (Ferrari and the like) and theyve all said how much better they handle once Centreofgravity have set them up.#

Lastly, another against common advice given.. if your lighting the tyres up and high speed (in a straight line not through the corners) personally id be looking at THINNER tyres not wider..
Contact patch SIZE is exactly the same no matter what width tyre you use.. however wider tyres give a profile better suited to lateral grip.. and even then only in lovely dry conditions.. which is something we dont get much of over here!

Only ways to increase grip are..
Softer tyre compound
Increased contact patch via..
1. lower tyre pressures
2. increased downforce (probably the best option for you since its high speed grip you want, id say)
3. increased weight over the axle
4. changing the suspension geometry
5. increased heat but thats a factor of any of the above really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts