Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
think ive been done

I have an R34 gtr vspec and in december i have had a bottom end rebuild with uprated internals, new turbos, cams,pullys,ecu,etc etc etc, i spent £8000 with this company, i wont say who did the work, the only problem is it started overheating in january just after it had done 1600 miles so i took it back, i new the head gasket had gone but they insisted on checking everything else first, i new it was the head gasket because there was exhaust fumes in the header tank and the header was preasurising, they told me the first time they rebuilt it they didnt have the head skimmed as you dont need to with RB26! is this normal? any way they finaly discovered it was the head gasket that had gone, they did the work including getting the head skimmed this time, all in all they have had the car 3 months, i collected it and now they have told me i must pay the full repair bill which comes to £1200, £400 is for labour! surely this is wrong as i only had the car working 3 weeks, what should i do as they are pushing me to pay a bill which in my eyes is there responsabilty?:(

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sounds like they didn't do the job properly in the first place to me. Did you rebuild the engine just to modify it or because it was getting tired? if it was rebuilt because it was knackered they should have checked the head and skimmed it if it needed it, if not they haven't done they're job properly and i wouln't give them another penny. :swear:

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Dont give them anything. Get your car and go see a solicitor for advice. They wont have a leg to stand on.. They should of skimmed the head..

What cheek.... :disappointed:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had upgrades because i broke my oil pump and it just made sense as the engine was already out, but that was my thoughts exactly

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have just had problems with a mechanic used by my Mrs.

I feel for you..

I think the mechanic I used was just guessing at the problem we had, even though I straight up told him what I thought the problem was. But what can you do?

I argued the point for days but until I paid him we didn't get the car back.

I'm pissed off, just gonna sling the car on Ebay and be on the lookout for something else. Like many trades, its tough to find someone you can trust..

On the flip side...

It is not always easy for even the most experienced of mechanics to diagnose a problem correctly, yet they still have to spend their time doing so and, I guess, therefore deserve paying for that time. I remember when BigChief's driveshaft went at Santa Pod, all the mechanics were convinced it was either the clutch or the gearbox. Having changed the clutch the problem was still there so they realised it was the driveshaft. It aint always straightforward.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have just had problems with a mechanic used by my Mrs.

I feel for you..

I think the mechanic I used was just guessing at the problem we had, even though I straight up told him what I thought the problem was. But what can you do?

I argued the point for days but until I paid him we didn't get the car back.

I'm pissed off, just gonna sling the car on Ebay and be on the lookout for something else. Like many trades, its tough to find someone you can trust..

On the flip side...

It is not always easy for even the most experienced of mechanics to diagnose a problem correctly, yet they still have to spend their time doing so and, I guess, therefore deserve paying for that time. I remember when BigChief's driveshaft went at Santa Pod, all the mechanics were convinced it was either the clutch or the gearbox. Having changed the clutch the problem was still there so they realised it was the driveshaft. It aint always straightforward.
I agree that even the best mechanics cant be right all the time.
BUT simply jacking the rear wheels off the ground and looking to see if the
propshaft was turning ,then try locking the prop. would have helped to pinpoint where the problem lay.:nono:

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
I have an R34 gtr vspec and in december i have had a bottom end rebuild with uprated internals, new turbos, cams,pullys,ecu,etc etc etc, i spent £8000 with this company, i wont say who did the work, the only problem is it started overheating in january just after it had done 1600 miles so i took it back, i new the head gasket had gone but they insisted on checking everything else first, i new it was the head gasket because there was exhaust fumes in the header tank and the header was preasurising, they told me the first time they rebuilt it they didnt have the head skimmed as you dont need to with RB26! is this normal? any way they finaly discovered it was the head gasket that had gone, they did the work including getting the head skimmed this time, all in all they have had the car 3 months, i collected it and now they have told me i must pay the full repair bill which comes to £1200, £400 is for labour! surely this is wrong as i only had the car working 3 weeks, what should i do as they are pushing me to pay a bill which in my eyes is there responsabilty?:(
if you phone the citizens advice line they will take the details and advise you how to deal with it, also they will give you a ref/complaints number, so when you speak to the garage you can quote the ref number and you will find they will probably drop it, also i would speak to another tuner and ask if the work that this garage did is acceptable, and point out the points you have made here,,,,good luck and keep us posted, if they give you grief then name and shame them,

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, i cant beleive they have charged me for somthing which is there responsability.
I will, are there any tuners in the north?, i live near leeds

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
What did the CAB say??

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I havent contacted them yet, i will tomorrow when im back in the office, the other problem i have is the car blows blue smoke when i first start it but then when i give it a good blast it clears it, it never had this problem prior to the work done.
Any ideas????

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Could be the oil seals on the valve stems, when the car is stationary and turned off the oil is leaking through and burns off after a bit of run time.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I'm not a mechanic in the slightest mate so I should be the last one to comment on this. If I were in your shoes I'd find myself the nearest independent tuner to have a good look at your engine and give you as full an engineers report as he is willing/able to. Pair that off against the invoice for the work you had done and see if there are any glaring omissions. Once that done I would scare the original garage with the new report, gauge there reactions to it and take it from there :)

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Not for definite, although the name Motorscope or something rings a bell. Send a pm to 'Hesh' I'm sure that's who he uses.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I'll have a dig, see what I can find for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts