Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning people. As per the title really, managed to get around to fitting my new Timms 1Bar boost gauge the other day:boogy:-see pic. Took a while as you'll see had to make the surround to fit and then messs about cutting bits of plastic away behind so it would fit properly.

The problem with it is that it seems to be giving false readings. For instance it hit 1 Bar the other night........Now my car still has the 2 stage boost intact, an air filter and a japspeed exhaust thats it!!! NO BOOST controller fitted. Which leads me to believe it's faulty:disappointed:.

Could it possibly not be calibrated properly and therefore i need a replacement-possibly a 2 Bar one instead? Anyone else had this slight niggle with mechanical gauges? Also when the engine is off it rests at 0.4Bar and not in the off position which is between the green zone and yellow zone

Also the pipe is connected/plumbed directly to the plenum as the standard boost gauge pipe split when i tried too T into it-whoops:rofl:. Luckly there's sufficient length on the new pipe to reach! This though i doubt would cause any problems as it's where the standard gauge read from....

In the meantime going to ring the place where i got it from and see what they say........

:cheers:for your thoughts on this annoying matter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I've had faulty boost gauges before. The rule of thumb I have always gone by is to see what it sits at with the engine off and the +/- that from the real time reading and take that as my true boost reading. Not the best method but it put me on until I could sort it out. ;)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cheers: Right so when it swings all the way round to 1Bar it's actually 0.6Bar!

1 Bar- the 0.4Bar it sits at when turned off= 0.6Bar.

This seems logicall as when it was on the hub dyno at Thor it did boost to 0.6Bar.

Not good though if i want to up the boost abit.DOH. I'll see if they can send us an accurate one or a 2Bar one. Then i'll send the duff one back:dogpile:

I've got a manual boost controller ( powertek) to fit and don't fancy whinding to much boost on to see the turbo exit the exhaust......so close to x-mas and now i've a mortgage to cover.......

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All sorted. The company was ok with everything and they've sent me a replacement gauge, got it today. I asked for a 2Bar one this time just incase for the future:dogpile:

Have a look here for your gauge needs:http://www.lmaperformance.com/index.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts