·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
Nice one , piccie is a bit small though;)

So Adrian , when are you going to do a drag racing for dummies thread and impart some of your 1/4 mile wisdom???

You mustve learned so much racing your car , what tyres, suspension set ups, launch techniques etc etc

Care to share???

A couple of us are currently looking at fitting some better rubber to help get those 60fts down, currently 2.10's , what can be acheived???

·
Salad Dodger
2,345 Posts
I agree Project GTST is way better than this.

Sorry Aussy's youre engine choice hardly accuratly reflects
a "GTST", might be rwd and GTST chassis but the prerequiem
for a gtst is the RB25det which Project GTST is still running.

Don't get me wrong, top work, thats a wicked time, you must
be stoked but IMO NOT the quickest GTST.

:)

·
http://www.skyline-owners
1,278 Posts
Hi Adrian,

Hope you're well, stunning times & consistent as well :) :devil:

Makes me jealous when I see the weather in Aus - literally 5 to 6 months here in the UK & thats the season over :shakehead: .

Will be great when we put the new gearbox into Project GTST as I know that will be 0.6 - 1.2 sec straight away saved. The std gearbox is still working & I cant believe it hasnt snashed itself to pieces this year - obviously I havnt tried hard enough :rofl:

I am still going to persevere with the RB25 for another 12 months - why - well because the times so far dont reflect it's potential. We now have over 900 bhp at the wheels with the car & it's still on IRS (road) suspension.
Finally we have found good grip at the back end thanks to suspension tweaks but this in turn has highlighted the weakness in the standard driveshafts - smashed both sides twice out of 3 runs on the start line when launching at Santa Pod last week - in the end I had to just dolly it off the start line & ride the clutch just to get it moving but terminals were still 144mph doing that.

With the new box, better driveshafts, couple more mods I really do think that a low 9 or even high 8 can be achieved next year.
New engine is being looked at but still will be in essence a true GTST block (34 GTT block)

Maybe in 18 months or so we will look at the RB26/30 which seems to be flavour of the month abroad.

Good luck with your boys in Aus & great to see they are pushing things harder & harder - if you can get us an invite to take part in a good competition in 2007 I would love to know about it. :smoker:

Take care :cheers:
John

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW!

First of all, the car isn't mine but rather a fellow racer here in Aus. My GTST is an R33 which is considerably slower than this (although after today, it's picked up it's act considerably!!)

Secondly,

but the prerequiem for a gtst is the RB25det which Project GTST is still running.
Not all gtst's ran RB25's so this logic is flawed. IMHO it's no less a gtst because it runs a larger capacity RB than the RB20 it was delivered from the factory with. It's still a Nissan RB series engine, still turbocharged and still an IRS rear end. Saying that projectgtst is a better car is an odd statement to make as they're quite obviously different cars with different owners and different goals. Certainly you can have a personal preference between the two but one "more of a gtst".....hardly.

Next, Sorry about the size of the pics! I wasn't paying attention when I posted them. Mods feel free to edit them as you see fit.

As for a drag racing tips thread, I'll try and help where I can. :) If you guys can get your hands on some Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials you'll be laughing. Changing to these tyres from regular, low performance street tyres resulted in 60' times dropping from 1.90 to 1.65 seconds and ET's drop by 0.6 seconds.

If there's anything else I can answer, please let me know.

Adrian

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
2rismo said:
WOW!

First of all, the car isn't mine but rather a fellow racer here in Aus. My GTST is an R33 which is considerably slower than this (although after today, it's picked up it's act considerably!!)

Secondly,

Not all gtst's ran RB25's so this logic is flawed. IMHO it's no less a gtst because it runs a larger capacity RB than the RB20 it was delivered from the factory with. It's still a Nissan RB series engine, still turbocharged and still an IRS rear end. Saying that projectgtst is a better car is an odd statement to make as they're quite obviously different cars with different owners and different goals. Certainly you can have a personal preference between the two but one "more of a gtst".....hardly.

Next, Sorry about the size of the pics! I wasn't paying attention when I posted them. Mods feel free to edit them as you see fit.

As for a drag racing tips thread, I'll try and help where I can. :) If you guys can get your hands on some Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials you'll be laughing. Changing to these tyres from regular, low performance street tyres resulted in 60' times dropping from 1.90 to 1.65 seconds and ET's drop by 0.6 seconds.

If there's anything else I can answer, please let me know.

Adrian

Cheers Adrian

what size mickey t's do you run , whats your launch technique 5000rpm and dump the clutch???

and moreover whats your car improved to?? I take it the new rear end is helping??

As far as i am concerned there are RWD skylines and 4wd Skylines

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I run 255/50/16" MT's on standard 300ZX rims (16x7.5")

My launch technique will be a bit different to a lot of other cars as the nitrous gets it going at any revs. Also, the clutch I was running (when I had a clutch that is) was very harsh and needed some finesse to get it off the line quickly. Either way you can afford to be a lot more aggressive with these tyres as they're VERY sticky. I have broken axles and exploded CV joints two at a time from the traction they provide.

My car is getting it's new gearbox, turbo, injectors, exhaust manifold, wastegate, tune and more all at once this week so it should be good. I'd like to run a 10 on radials like this before building a motor and going for broke!

Adrian

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
2rismo said:
I run 255/50/16" MT's on standard 300ZX rims (16x7.5")

My launch technique will be a bit different to a lot of other cars as the nitrous gets it going at any revs. Also, the clutch I was running (when I had a clutch that is) was very harsh and needed some finesse to get it off the line quickly. Either way you can afford to be a lot more aggressive with these tyres as they're VERY sticky. I have broken axles and exploded CV joints two at a time from the traction they provide.

My car is getting it's new gearbox, turbo, injectors, exhaust manifold, wastegate, tune and more all at once this week so it should be good. I'd like to run a 10 on radials like this before building a motor and going for broke!

Adrian
were you putting all the gas in off the line???

·
Salad Dodger
2,345 Posts
2rismo said:

Adrian
Adrian

I'm sorry but you are wrong, i will admit this is nit-picking but i feel this should be clarified.

All GTST 's only were available from the factory with an RB25DET.

Any other engined 32 or 33 did not have the last "T" therefore any 32 or 33 without the RB25DET engine as standard from the factory is not a "GTST".

So therefore, as Project GTST still utilises the RB25DET engine then that is by far the World's Fastest GTST.

Your friends car i feel Should be classed as the "World's Fastest RWD Skyline".

I hope you agree with this and again i admit it is being picky BUT it is a true fact and i think it does matter when World Records are at stake.

I do hope you don't take offence as i am don't mean to take anything away from your friends success as it is truely an exceptional time for a rwd skyline!

:hippy:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts